Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

krock22

Technical User
Feb 6, 2010
US
Hello GuysLast week my boss decided to upgrade our network from D-Link to Cisco.. so I came here with a few problems and you guys helped me out and got my network running. Now this has started to become funn and I would like to learn more. My question is what type of lab do I need to get.

I did some research but people keep telling me diffrent thingsSome say get a 2500 router some say 3600, some say 2600, 2621xm, and even some were saying get the latest and gratest. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money for something that I may brake lol so can some of you maybe punch me in the right direction?

Thank you

3 2620 with wic-1t card 2 2950 switches and 1 2610 with a nm-4a/s for frame relay. and 3 db60-dte/dce crossover serial.
<500$ best investment you can make.

No need for brand new. The features that the new one support you wont even touch until ccie maybe ccnp.

Some will recommend old ass, like 2500. Save your self the frustration of waiting 27 seconds for the dam router to print the running config. Seems like its not that big of a deal until you have an ip in your head and you forgot what you were doing by the time the router decides to communicate.

CCNP

i get flamed for suggesting this,and yet i still do it

dynampis + dynagen will give you everything you need to get your CCNA and its free [he said his new network , thanks to his boss, is all cisco so he can get hands on while he is working, and he can emulate the rest while he is at home studying ]

if you decide to go for the NP i did it with:
1 c3550 <--- $600
2 2950 <--- $190
1 877w <--- $500
1 2611 <--- borrowed no clue what he paid for it
2 extra network cards <--- $40
dynampis + dynagen (emulated 7200 routers, which you can connect to the real network using the 2 extra nic cards) ...

ISPKING

2950 switches should I get 12 port switch or 24 port?

The 2620 routers seem not to have fast ethernet interfaces does that metter?

The 2620's do have fe it is the 2610 that does not. And no it does not matter for the 2610. 12 port is all you need, you will only be using 5-6 at any time.

Also a note on the simulators, they are not what some one who needs to learn the physical basics need. They are completely unrealistic and generally frowned upon when people achieve any cert with them. They behave too perfectly, stuff converges in ms which there have been many papers written about them confusing people on pvst+ and mst.

My advice is if you can, dish out some cash. Best investment you can make.

Also imbadatthis, i do not know when you purchased that equipment but now all of that is dirt cheap, 3550 are 200$.

CCNP

Ok thanks

So far I got a 2620 and a 2621xm with DUAL WIC-1DSU-T1 MODULES

Those should eb here in 1 week

Also I am looking at 2611 router how is that one. Fe or olny E

Ok 12 port switch is ok then I will look for some of those

2610=1 ethernet
2611=2 ethernet
2620=1 fa
2621=2 fa

XM models are different...

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

what is the diffrence in the XM models? are they any better? Faster?

how about 2651XM ????

The 2651xm are hardcore, i have 6 for my ccie lab, mpls reasons. XM are generally faster as they are a later generation (more memory and flash). To run sdm you need at least a 2611xm.

CCNP

I do have one more querstion
I got one 2620 but it only has one fast ethernet port. Now how can this riouter be a good use to me. Where do i plug in my ISP connection? Fa0/0? if so what will go to my switch?

I have 2 more 2651xm's comming my way with 2 2950 switches

well if you have a switch you could go :

ISP ---> fa 0/0 vlan 10
home network --> fa0/1 vlan 20
router --> fa0/24 trunked..

that COULD work..

Well this router has only one Fats Ethernet port on it where did you came up with the fa0/1 ?

Maybe I should be looking at a WIC card?

No, he means using the switch sort of like Firewall on a stick topology. Which is a little advanced for where you are. The 2651xm have dual fast Ethernet and are more suited to handling the speeds coming from your isp. But the point of the lab is to have isolated equipment that you can break and fix over and over, pick up the todd lamele sybex ccna book. Read through it and follow the labs.

CCNP

One more question.. is IOS upgrade free these days? if not what is the cost for the latest versions

IOS are NOT free, and are pretty expensive (try ISPHunter---free). I may have a few older ones that are robustenough for CCNA and CCNP...

timandlizh at gmail dot com

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Krock22,

Glad you are building a lab, sims and emulators are nice BUT they are NOT the real thing !!!!!

Do not jump into trying to hook your Cisco router/lab up as your connection to your ISP right away - as ISPking said - the lab should be isolated so you can screw it up and start again, you will need a GOOD connection to the Internet to ask questions and get help as you do your labs.

At some later date you might want to add another Cisco router that is for your ISP connection, but wait and get your hands into it all first!!!!!

Here is a link to a very good blog at Networkworld by Wedell Odom - CCIE and Cisco author - it is a 9 part blog about getting a home CCNA lab - READ IT - you will learn lots -

I agree, get the Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammel - one of the best books to learn this stuff!!!

Also, go up to and under "Training and Events" follow the links to the Cisco Learning Network - lots of good info up there also.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back