Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlecuru

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
US
I took the test yesterday and got a 844. Failed by half a percentage point.
There was one question...I don't remember it word for word but it was something like "you are on host A and attempting to telnet to Router A without success. You can however ping the router. What is the problem:
A Line VTY 0 4 interface is turned off.
B You have a bad NIC on your PC.
C The default gateway of you PC is incorrect.
...I don't remember the rest. Is anyone familiar with the question? I realize that the issue must be above layer 3 since we can ping the router?

I think this one is refering to two possible problems with router access;

1 - Inability to telnet in because of an ACL prohibiting connectivity to port 23

2 - No login set for the VTYs.

It's a common question in most study guides I've seen for the exam. If you can ping, there's connectivity so the "wrong gateway" answer is wrong. "Bad nic in PC" is wrong for the same reason. The key to the question is that they specifically state that you can ping. The rest is process of elimination.

CCNA can be trial to study for and pass. Not only do you have to know the material, you have to know how to read the questions. The first time I took it, it almost looked like it was written in another language. I passed it on my second try (last week).

-SnowNinja

Is the telnet access unavailable wihout doing the:
line vty 0 4
password _____
login
or is it just not password protected?

You HAVE to set a password for a vty line in order for it to be active.

Yes, true, must set password for VTY access.

tlecuru, I definitely recommend the BOSON CCNA Network Simulator ( It has a ton of labs that you can work with. It DOES lack scenarios with VLSM, but you can create labs with those situations in them.

-SnowNinja

tlecuru,

Several things that must be done to telnet -

1) One interface must be on the network - the ping indicates this is done.

2) telnet access must be configured on the router
router(config)# line vty 0 4
router(config-line)# password cisco
router(config-line)# login

This will configure all 5 telnet lines (0-4) with the password "cisco" and the login command tells the router to ask you for the password.

IF YOU DO NOT DO THE login command it will not allow access. I have seen CCNA telnet config questions where they are looking for the 3 steps listed in 2) above.

I also agree with SnowNinja - the Cisco Press/Boson router sim is one of the best out there.

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

SnowNinja,
Not sure if you have ever tried but they are $25 cheaper then B & N.

I always check them, B&N and Amazon and 7 out of 10 times they are the best price.

I have been buying most of my tech books from them for about 5 years and have never had any issues.

Cisco CCNA Network Simulator (Exam 640-801)
Boson Software Inc
Cisco Press, Bk&CD edition,
Published July 2004,
ISBN 1587201313
List Price: $149.95
Our Price: $82.25
You Save: $67.70 (45% Off)
Availability: In-Stock

I hope this helps!!

E.A. Broda

Darn, wish I knew :(

Just ordered my CCDA stuff on Saturday, first one came in.

Oh, well. Live and learn . . .

-SnowNinja

To telnet without password

line vty 0 4
no login

They don't teach this in ccna.

Just wanted to point out that a login password is *not* required; you could be doing AAA on that line.

I have found after teaching CCNA students for the last 7 years that when you study for the CCNA exam you do not always get the whole picture - you learn just enough for the exam!

This is my observation from the Cisco curriculum as well as many CCNA study guides. Sybex even at times will mention things in passing and expl that those are way beyond the scope of the CCNA exam.

I have found as I study for CCNP and CCSP lots of as Paul Harvey would say “the rest of the story" ..... you learn only so much and then they dump lots of the exceptions on you.

Since this is a CCNA question and configuring the vty 0 4 lines is a commonly asked question in most CCNA test banks, I answered as it will most likely be seen on the CCNA exam.

Once you pass your CCNA exam I highly suggest the book "Cisco Cookbook" - it goes into lots of addition commands as well as why you would or would not do it.

But for the CCNA exam - understand how to set all the passwords on a router - secret, con, aux, and vty as well as what the commands look like.

As I told my students - you can not learn it all at one time or your head would explode!!

I hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

Thanks everyone. All very valuable info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back