Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreker

Vendor
Nov 6, 2006
US
I've taken the CCNA (640-801) twice in the last two weeks and failed both times. Last time I had a 821/849 this time a 834/849.

I work with this stuff every day and wasn't expecting this to be such a headache. I have the Cisco Press CCNA Self Study Library that I have been working from.

Any tips/advice? Maybe I just don't test well ;)

First of all, don't give up - your scores are pretty close.

What area(s) are giving you difficulty? Look at your Examination Score Report, it will have a breakdown of your performance in each area. If there's one area giving you trouble, that's what you need to hit hard. This can sometimes be an eye-opener - when I first sat CCNA I thought I was crash-hot on frame-relay, yet that's what dragged my score down. So that's when I realised I wasn't as good as I thought I was (or Cisco wanted me to be), and hit the books again concentrating on that area.

Some people find subnetting difficult. If you do, then practice. Write down IP addresses at random, pick a subnet mask and start working out your ranges, host IP addresses, broadcast addresses, etc.

Try looking at other sources for information. If there's a topic that doesn't quite make sense, browse CCO for information on it. Sometimes having the same subject presented in a different way can make a difference and it'll just click.

Graham M. CCNP

Thanks for the reply!

Subnetting is no problem for me. I can grab any subnetting question from my study guide and figure it out.

The breakdown on my last exam listed "Technology" and "Implementation and Operation" as the low areas. I did excellent on "Planning and Design" and "Troubleshooting".

I am guessing the Technology section has to do more with the details of routed and routing protocols. Is this correct?

Wreker,

I have always said that people should study 2 different books for CCNA - you have done Cisco Press - get Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd L.

I have talked to many students who fail the CCNA the 1st time and then I tell them to read the Sybex book and they pass it. Todd has been writing this book since the 1st CCNA exam - I think this is now the 5th edition. This book has always been good in teaching just what is needed to pass the exam.

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back