Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA or CCDA 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwolf52

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2002
US
What are the career differences between the 2?

I would think that designers of networks would be paid much better. For someone with no Cisco experience would it be better to get my CCNA first and then go into the design program or what?

Thanks for your thoughts

CCNA first, then CCDA
shnypr-small.gif

Because the CCDA requires that you have your CCNA first....

Burke

Sorry my mistake, it doesn't require it, but is strongly recommended... There is a lot of overlap between the CCNA and CCDA, and if you can pass the CCNA with a good score then the CCDA shouldn't be too bad with a little more studying.

Any thoughts on design vs implamentation?

RBurke:
How about if one has CCNP, does he need to take CCDA, or can he take CCDP, and how many more exams need to be taken for CCDP for one who already possess CCNP. Thanks,
Indiana

Hawkeye71,
Well, to answer your questions... you have to have your CCDA before you can try to go for CCDP. Like CCNA, the CCDA is just one exam. Once you get past the CCDA, and since you're a CCNP already, it would only take one exam, the 640-025 Design: Cisco Internetwork Design (CID). There are 4 exams required but they are the Routing, Switching, and Remote Access for the CCNP. Here's the link for the CCDA and CCDP.

CCDA:

CCDP:

Redwolf52,

I got my CCNA back at the end of July and am currently studying for the CCDA. Unfortunetly, I'm still in college and am taking 5 classes plus work, so I won't be taing the exam anytime soon. My peronal recommendation is to get your CCNA, because it is the more noticeable and usable cert. out of the two. The CCNA teaches you some about LAN/WAN design, but is mostly implementation, which seems like hte harder, to me, than design. And like I said before, once you get your CCNA, there is alot of overlap between the two. Just my personal opinion from a CCNA studying for hte CCDA. Hope this helps.... let me know....

Burke

Ok then along the same thread, which is better to have (better being more job opportunities and higher salary) CCNP or CCDP?

Well, that is something I really don't know... Like I said before, I'm just a student trying to get into the networking field, and since I don't have experience, I figured certs would be nice, at least to get me a job and I can work from there. But it reall depends on what you want to do.... If you were to go for the CCDP, then you would be more qualified in consultant type jobs. The CCNP is in the implementation side and they seem to get more network administration. Really they both could be high paying jobs. My recommendation is to go for the CCNP, then to work on the CCDP. Whenever I went to take my CCNA test there was a CCIE written candidate and he said he studied for both the CCNP and CCDP at the same time, even took them the same day. So, it is possible to get them both fairly close together, there isn't any rule saying you can't study for more than one cert at a time. In terms of job oppurtunites, that is really a location issue. You just have to take a look and see what jobs are in your area, and what they would want you to have. Expecially now, with the down-turn in the economy, if you are looking to getting into the networking field, you aren't going to find the fabled $60,000/year job. Chances are that you will have to start at the low end and work your way up. The certs don't get you the job, they just give you a second glance by the business. It's up to you to earn the job you want....

Hope this helps....

Burke

Thanks for your insight. I am currently in the IT industry, but the name of the game is continuing education, so I am trying to decide whcih direction to go now

Thanks again

Hello Chaps. I thought that once you had a CCNP you only had to take CID to get a CCDP and like wise if you have a CCDP you only need to take CIT to top it up and that and associate level qual was the start to the first main qual I may be mistaken though. I actually took the NA then the DA then went all the way to DP and then took CIT and got my NP. Having these and good lan experience and an MCSE still didnt get me a job for what I was willing to take and I was disregarded for some for being overqualified. I would say get the NA and then get some work experience with Cisco in a training position / installation position and then progress to the CCNP / DP after. Paper qualifications dont do much for the industry as I found out the hard way and it was an MCSE with extensive hands on work instead of a Cisco and very good LAN but limited WAN experience that got me where I wanted to be.

My 2 cents....

CCNA first. I started studying the CCDA and there were huge gaps of knowledge that I was lacking, nothing I had in the CCDA notes contained what I needed, on a whim I checked the CCNA reference notes and discovered what I needed. CCNA covers the basics you are assumed to know for your CCDA.

As for your future choice, what do you want to do design or implement. If you want to design then CCDP otherwise CCNP.
:)

I really enjoy supporting systems and I have never been involved in designing networks.

Anyone out there that has experience at both?

I would like to hear your thoughts, also any thoughts on potential salary for ccnp vs ccdp

FWIW, I took my CCNA on a monday, passed it, and at the urging of a few people in the business I took the CCDA on wednesday and passed it.

However...
I don't really deserve a CCDA. I actually had to go back and buy a book to learn the material.

I only passed it because if you can pass the NA with about around a 900 or better, have some common sense, a good dash of luck and some analytical skills, you can brute force your way through the test. They're really pretty different areas of knowledge in spite of some overlap.

What I have been TOLD is that a CCDA can earn a bit more but your employment opportunities are much narrower. I can't vouch for that from personal experience though.

My advice to you would be to go the CCNA, CCNP, CCIE path.
I must think it's a good idea because that's what I'm doing.
Well, either that or I'm a dumbass, which is a distinct possibility. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back