Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasnas

MIS
Oct 31, 2007
US
Can I take CCNA certification online .
is there a place wheren I can pay one time until i get certified.
I am tired of this expiration date.

Texasnas,

If you want to be Cisco certified you play by CISCOs rules!!!

If you want to be a CCNA you must renew your cert every 3 years by retaking and passing the current CCNA exam or by taking and passing a higher level exam.

All Cisco exams are given at moderated test centers across the world where you must prove who you are with a photo ID before taking the exam.

None of the Cisco exams are given online for security reasons.

Once again, if you don't like the rules, don't be a CCNA!!

If Cisco dropped the security or recertification rules then the cert would drop in value ........

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Since you are an instructor, thats how you make your money.
since I have 20 plus years experience and work on so many different brands of network with over 40 different certificates, dont you think I get tired of this. Even with experience , you have to have active CCNA.
The weird part is that I wiill recommend checkpont firewall, avaya, juniper, Hp, etc. Maybe a few Cisco equipment. I think this is a racket.

Is there even a certification out now that you don't have to renew every few years?

Even the vendor neutral ones still have to renewed.

Texasnas,

If you think it is a "racket" then don't play :) The people I know in the industry have certs and keep up their certs because it either makes them more money, gives them some creditability or helps them stay current in an ever changing world of technology !!!

As for my "title" of Instructor here at Tek-Tips, it is not how I make a living, my full time job is maintaining about 500 computers at the college I work. teaching in a Cisco Network Academy is part time work :)

And when I talk to people like you with more than 20 years experience I normally just tell them to go get the latest Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammel and read that and take the Exam....

Cisco has strict rules as does many of the brands you named for their certs so that the people who look to these certs for an employee or support person, understand these people have a certain level of CURRENT proficiency in an area.

Once again, if it does not benefit you with $$$$ or not being laid off then don't do it.

E.A. Broda

I am a senior network engineer who disgree with certification. I get job using my experience, so i do not follow cisco rules. once i work for a company Csco listens to m if they want to make money from me.

Texasnas,

Most "senior network engineers" with 20 years experience I know would be CCIEs or at least a CCNP and would not be concerned with CCNA which is an entry level certification..............

And again, most network engineers I deal with find a hardware or software solution based on the best product, price and support that will fit their clients needs, not how the exam certification procedure is :)

It really does not matter if you agree or disagree with certification - if you are finding work without it then more power to you :)

HOWEVER, you were the one who posted in this forum for shortcuts around the Ciscos exam procedure for a CCNA certification so it would seem that it must mean something to you :)

E.A. Broda

I'm not familiar with any certification exams one can take online besides Brainbench (and they really don't count). I'm certain that this is not the case for Juniper, Microsoft, Novell, Comp-TIA, Citrix, and Checkpoint. I also don't know of any with a "pay for once and get several opportunities to pass" policy. Texasnas, could you tell us who does have those policies?

CompTIA: A+ (WfW 3.11), Network+
Microsoft: MCSE+I (NT4)
Novell: CNE (4.11, 5.0)
Citrix: CCA (Metaframe 1.0)
Working on MS 70-642 then CCNP...

Amazing Steve, I hope you making 100K plus by now with all those certificates.

Thanks for all the chuckles.

Texasnas, good luck on your certification progress.

Yo Texas---I renewed my CCNA, I think...so I get to make more $$$. YAY! Go ME!

And with 6-7 years experience. When I started, I didn't know what telnet was. And how many fake CCIE's do you know? Are there braindumps for the labs? LOL!

Oh yeah...with 20 yrs experience, I hope YOU'RE making 100K...I guess that gauges how good someone is with networking, eh?

I will bet anything that I can put up a winning argument promoting Cisco over any other brand you come up with...Netscreen wannabe firewalls, HP Procurves---yeah, argue that they have a lifetime warranty...well, guess what---those are only the fixced config switches, not modular. Oh yeah---Cisco switches are the exact same---10-day RMA for the life of ANY fixed config switch---even a $10G 4948-10GE...but not the $5G XENPAK 10Gb GBICs...:(

BTW, my company tends to gauge salary on COLE---I live in St. Louis, the lowest in the nation. If I lived in Cali, I'd be making 200 dimes, homie:)

On top of the salary bump, I also get a generous bonus ($5K) for passing the CCIE. Pocket change :)

Now go get your CCNA so you can make the real $$$

:)

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(25c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1523-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 11-Feb-1539 23:02 by ßµ®†Šß€€Š

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [ÝØÝØMØÑ], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Edge uptime is 469¼

BTW, Todd, CompTIA's are forever certs---you don't have to renew them. I don't put 1/2 of my certs under my email cert. I can set up a thin net network. I know how to make folders in Windows 3.x...YAY!

Texas---I forgot to mention---being a Cisco Silver or Gold partner, a company gets a lot of perks---an IE is a req for Silver, and a few more is the req for Gold. Yes, you'd be making $$$ for the Leader of networking. Are you gonna say that 3COM or Juniper corners the market? ha ha...I admit, Juniper has its advantages, like the "commit" command...but Cisco has the "reload in 10" command :)

OK, so you didn't ask me to argue comps between Cisco and the followers :)

wee ha, I'm having fun. I'm back, kiddies!

Now off to studying for the lab. Oh yeah---Todd, Gene and Uncle---I'm gonna post my lab pics on FaceBang soon---it's getting to be like Scott's (Morris).

Oh---and last time I talked with Billy, he said "hey" to you guys. Haines...you know---Zen something...can't reember his handle.

Later, peoples! Oh boy! As I am typing this, Mah SUP2, 48 pt Gb blade and power supplies just arrived for my 4506...YEE HA!

It was a good day... (Ice Cube... :) )

Buh BYE!

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(25c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1523-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 11-Feb-1539 23:02 by ßµ®†Šß€€Š

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [ÝØÝØMØÑ], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Edge uptime is 469¼

Burt,

Soooooo glad to have you back, I owe Billy a call and Todd an email, been busy with work as I am getting some Dell 960s with Intel I7s in them ready for the CS lab, doing XP Pro x64 for the Summer and then I think WIN 7 x64 for the Fall with Office 2010.

We also have a new Dell rack server to replace several older Dell Poweredges - P3 :) but they have been running 24/7/365 for the past 8-9 years - they are ready to be retired !!!

Along with that I am getting new carpet in the lab as well as some new desks and shelves, so I will be busy this summer !!!

And I am working a little study time in also !!!

Looking forward to the "Uber Lab II" pictures!!!!!

E.A. Broda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back