Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA Lab set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITILer

Technical User
Mar 18, 2006
AE
Hello all,

I am very keen on studying for my CCNA and not to sure which route to go for either the 1 or 2 exam.

Also as my experience with Cisco is only a one week course with learning tree so it is very limited. This leads me on wanting to get lots of hands on (without breaking my companies network) What is a good way of getting hands on?
Are there any good software programs that can emulate the IOS or would I be better off getting my own router? if the latter what do you recommend (unfortunately as it is coming out of my pocket money is an object).

I currently have the sybex book and a lot of enthusiasm to succeed. And unfortunately not a home internet connection (don’t ask).

Any help would be greatly received.

Regards

Dylan
--------------------
MCSA 2003, CWNA, Security+

I've used Network Visualizer a little bit instead of actually having a router with me all the time. Would work well I think for CCNA study. You will want to check out a command list for whatever you end up purchasing. Some commands are not always there. Network Visualizer does give you a good 'feel' like you are on a real router or switch, but my preference is to have my hands on the real equipment.

I used the CCNA library from Ciscopress for my studies. It had a copy of Boson network simulator with it I think, but didn't use it too much.

For CCNA, you could probably go out to Ebay and pick up a couple of 2500 series routers and the DTE/DCE cables really cheap. Or the 1700 series would work well also. I'd try and get the 2507 series if you could, just because it has a 16port hub (can setup some workstations for additional testing) built in. BUT, if you plan on going beyond the CCNA, the 2500 just doesn't quite cut it and you will have to make certain there is enough memory and flash to support other features. I'm lucky enough at my company we have some spare routers floating around so I can always get my hands on non-production equipment.

Good luck.

Dylan,

As for router sims - has one of the best sims out there for CCNA or CCNP.

There is nothing like a real router though - as lerdalt said go to eBay and look for a 2501, 2503 or 2514 with 16 DRAM and 16 Flash (MAX) and at least a 12.2 version of the IOS - the latest the better.

Better would be to get some 2600 routers - prices are coming down and you can get 2610s and 2611s for a better price everyday.

What you really would like to have are 3 2600s and 2 2900 switches and you can practice everything you need for CCNA and have equipment you can build on for CCNP.

You should also read a Cisco Press CCNA book and I always like the Sybex CCNA Study Guide to give you a very real rounded CCNA education. You can get GREAT book prices at or
As for 1 test vs 2 tests - I personally feel the 2 exams is the harder (and more expensive $$$) way to go since the 2nd exam tends to build on lots of concepts from the 1st exam - not like there is a clear divide where this is on one and that is on the other. Just my $.02 :)

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

HEY AM NEW OIN THE FORUM, I WILL BE WRITING MY CCNA EXAMS THIS NOVEMBER, I HAVE READ VEY WELL FOR IT AND I THINK I AM READY, BUT I WOULD LOVE TO ASK YOUR ADVICE SINCE YOU PEOPLE ARE MORE ADVANCED,

WHAT ARE THE TOPICS YOU THINK THAT I SHOULD REALLY STUDY,

DURING THE EXAMINATIONS, HOW MANY SIMULATIONS ARE WE GOING TO DO ??

ALOS I HEARD THAT IF YOU WRITE CCNA, YOU WILL HAVE TO WRITE CCNP WITHIN A TWO YEAR INTERVAL, IS THAT TRUE

wizzyg,

First - PLEASE stop the CAPS ! It is considered shouting!!!

Also you should start a new post when you have a different question.

As to your questions - on the CCNA you can expect from 2-3 sims - most who take the one exam option see 2 sims.

If you pass the CCNA there is no requirement to ever take the CCNP but the CCNA is only good for 3 years so to recertify you must retake the CCNA or pass at least 1 CCNP level or higher exam.

It is hard to say what you really should study because the CCNA is a very comprehensive exam testing many levels of your knowledge - you should take some practice tests that tell you what areas YOU are weak in!

Most find subnetting, VLSM, VLANs, STP, OSPF and ACLs to be the hardest areas of the exam.

I hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Hi all,
I am new at this as you might tell from what could possible be a very stupid question.
I have been very lucky to get the following kit to set up my home lab to study towards my CCNA.

2 x Cisco 3600 routers with one WIC-2T and one ATM E1-4E1- MA interface each.
1 x Cisco 2600 with a Wic 2t interface

1x Cisco 2950 48 port switch with two 10/100/1000 fast ethernet ports.
My problem is I have all this lovely kit but I just do not seem able to get it all talking to each other. So I was wondering if any of you on this formum could point me in the right direction for good how to manuales just to get me started.
I am using the CiscoPress self study guids and they seem to take a lot for granted and do not give the reader any guidence on how to set up a home lab from scratch.

many thanks

i generall idea with the book is that if you understand the concepts behind it, you should be able to setup your own lab with no problem.

for now try to assign a few ip to each router and see if it can ping each other.

Did you manage to get your lab working snooperace?

Graham M. CCNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back