Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA Lab equipment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdurant

MIS
Oct 23, 2003
BB
Hello All,

Just bought 2 x 2501 routers and a 1912 switch to start setting up my lab. First, are these 3 devices adequate? Secondly, what cables do I need to use with the devices?

Ryan

on point to point devices, always make sure that the encapsulation matches on both sides, and make sure the clock rate is set on the DCE side (show controllers serial <n> will give you this status).

Check Layer 1 (physical)

Check Layer 2 (data-link)

Also, enabling CDP can also be a good layer 2 check, as it works exclusively at Layer 2 of the OSI model, then you can
Check Layer 3 (network)do 'show cdp neighbors' to see what directly connected devices your router(s) know about.

What other WAN technologies other than Frame Relay can back-to-back routers connected with DB60 crossover cables simulate?

Note that I have 2x2501 and a 4700M.

Thanks...
Ryan

Currently you're not simulating Frame Relay. Your routers are set to use HDLC encapsulation and you are simulating a point-to-point WAN connection. To simulate frame-relay you need a frame-relay switch. You can set one of the routers to act as a frame-relay switch.

At this stage though I wouldn't recommend getting into that! Play around with your current setup and find out what the commands do. show commands will provide you with a lot of information. You can also use a ? to find out what commands are available. EG

show ?

will list all the possible show commands.

Graham

techkiwi...

I think you miss understood me. I'm not saying or thinking that I am currently simulating frame relay, I'm just asking what other technologies can be simulated this way.

Also, most of the above posts with regards to the frame relay were not from me, they were from techxupport.

Ryan...

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to thanks everyone's contribution to help me set this up. I guess I was just anxious to jump ahead to set up the routers and switches. But now, I am just reading the books to get all the concepts first than I'll start playing with the routers and switches.

Someone recommended me a the CCNA books by CiscoPress. They say the labs in that book is pretty good. Does anyone has any comments on it before I spend the extra $50 on that book. I already have the CCNA 640-801 from Sybex that I am reading right now.

hi guys do you know of any sites in india from where i can procure the equipment you have just listed above?
I would be grateful.

Hi techxupport

I can sure relate to wanting to jump in and start playing on the routers and switches. If you want to do CCNA you need to bone up on the theory - stuff like the OSI 7 layer model (which we all know backwards, right?!)

Hi techkiwi,

Well, I know the order of the layers and somewhat know what they do. I guess I need more studying. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back