Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA Lab equipment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdurant

MIS
Oct 23, 2003
BB
Hello All,

Just bought 2 x 2501 routers and a 1912 switch to start setting up my lab. First, are these 3 devices adequate? Secondly, what cables do I need to use with the devices?

Ryan

one more router would help. then, you can start practicing routing protocols without worrying about direction connection. i mean, with having just 2 routers, they can communicate with each other without any IS-IS, OSPF, RIP, IGRP, EIGRP routing protocol being enabled.

with only 2 routers, all you can do is to practice existence of various CLI commands.

with 3 routers, you can test load balancing as well as use them all the other routing protocols.

Ok, I will go ahead and get another router. Should I get the same 2501 model? What about the cables then? I want to get everything one time, rather than getting the router and then coming back to ask about cables.

Thanks,
Ryan

well, a ideal lab would (in my opinion) consist of a pair of 2501's, one 4000M/4500M/4700M (with 2 Ethernet, 4 serial ports), and a 1912/1924 switch with cables for all gear (better to get 3-6 ft crossover DB-60's to hook the serials together, kg2.com is a good place for cables, IMO).

The 4000M/4500M/4700M can also serve as a x.25/FR switch with the proper configuration files loaded (cisco.com has examples). If you get good IOS images as well and max out the ram in your gear, you'll have enuf to pass CCNA + BSCI (CCNP Routing Exam).

As you advance, you can always add more gear to your lab.

A nice piece of equipment to get your hands on (it costs, however) is a Adtran 550 with Frame Relay module, POTS module, and ISDN module (which allows you to do all of the Remote Access stuff for CCNP), but the base unit on ebay is about $1200 w/no modules).

Just my 2 cents worth :)

2 cents??

That was a mouthful. Thanks for the advice..

Other suggestions are welcomed!!

if you have enough dough to shell out to purchase those partially-fully-fledged equipment, then dogbert's advice may be better choice.
but if you just want to just pass BSCI and CCNA exams, you only need those cheap routers and a switch IMO. you can still pass these exams with minimal equipment. experience with those high-end equipment can be absorbed in your workplace.

as far as network connection is concerned, you may need 3 serial cables for meshed topology or need only 2 serial cables for serial linked topology, few rj45s for switch ethernet link & pc console connections.

I do plan to go on to CCNP afterwards, would the 4000M series, the 2 2501's and the 1912 suffice at that stage? Or is that a whole different ball game?

Part of my objective is to try to get as much of the required equipment now (for CCNA/CCNP)as I possibly can, so that the continuation from one level to the other wouldn't be interrupted by the fact that I would now have to search for additional equipment.

Well, as I said, 2 x 2501's, and a 4000/4500/4700 (M series) with 4 serial and 2 ethernet plus a 1912/24 (saw a 1924 on ebay the other day for $125) with cables would suffice for all CCNA and the CCNP BSCI examination.

You'll need to beef up your lab a little for remote access and switching, as they focus on more specific objectives (this is where a adtran 550 comes in handy for remote access), and for L3 switching, a 3550 comes in handy (properly equipped, of course).

Hey if u have any community colleges or adult education centres near by u can always check if they are offering any
CCNA/NP based courses ,they will have a lot of equipment,
and the courses are usually instructor based or self pased
anyway both of them would cost less than 125 bucks thats how i learned it and gave exam.

My 2cents on this is to stay away from the 4000 and 4000M series. I bought a 4000, granted very cheap off of ebay and it makes a wonderful doorstop. The flash memory is virtually non-upgradable. I remember looking at the 4000M and seeing that it used a more standard memory. I would shoot for a 4500 or 4700. These routers can be found fairly cheap with the only expensive interface being the Fast Ethernet modules. On the other hand the best bang for the buck is the 1700 series routers, but they do cost more. If you plan on going far, CCNP or CSSP I would suggest at least one 1700. You will see questions based upon this router on the routing exam as they are similar to the 2600 and 3600 series routers. I have seen them go for as low as 250, not often but it happens. Otherwise what you have is good enough to pass the CCNA and I would only contemplate purchasing more if 1.) no access at work 2.) really want the flashing lights and fan noise in your house 3.) just have to have them because you have money to burn. Depending on far down the road you are talking should dictate your purchasing scheme. If down the road is a few months then by all means purcahse some stuff. If you are talking more than one year, wait. Technology will change and more importantly so will the exams and the books from which the exams are pulled. My 2 cents.

thek25
CCNA, 640-901, 640-604, 640-605

Well, a 4000M w/4 serial and 2 ethernet makes a excellent frame relay and X.25 switch, and if loaded with 12.x IOS, can be a 3rd router between 2 25xx. I just bagged a pair of cisco 2502's (TR plus 2 serial ints) for $134 on ebay, a little memory thrown in, and they'll be ready for use in the lab :)

I also bagged a 4700 sitting at the office for $125 (no modules, but i'll upgrade it over time) <w00t>!

Ok guys,

Thanks for the tips so far. I managed to get a 4700M with 2 Ethernet, 4 serial ports. Plus the 2 2501's and the 1912 switch.

What I would like some help with now, is what type of setup should I have in my lab with these 4 pieces of equipment that would prepare me enough.

Also, should these devices be at a particular level of IOS?
The 4700M has 11.2.
The 2501's have 11.1(9) and 11.1(24).
The 1912 has WS-C1912-A 9.00.05EN.

Thanks,
Ryan

hey rdurant,

I guess I am in the same boat as you are. I am currently studying for my CCNA as well. I just pickup 3 2501 routers and probably need to pickup the other equipment as well. Maybe we can help each other out by cross checking each other setup.

oh yeah, I have a question for you guys.
I got a couple of error messages as I boot up the router. Is this something I should be worrying about?

Notice: NVRAM invalid, possibly due to write erase.

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configurations from version 12.0 may not be correctly understood

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg (Timed out)
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/cisconet.cfg (Timed out)

and everytime I goto config t and when I press Ctrl Z I get this message.

router1#config t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
router1(config)#^Z
router1#
00:03:49: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console

Can anyone help me fix some of these problems.

Thanks.

NVRAM invalid statement is probably due to a write erase. This means that the person you purchsed the routers from did you a slight dis-service ;-) I think everyone should have the opportunity to crack into a cisco router with the lost password procedures. Remember that phrase, lost password procedures, you will probably use it more than once in your career. Normally this is not a problem unless it shows up all the time.

second issue is very normal and is the ios's way of informing you that you made changes to the run config via the console port.

thek25
CCNA, 640-901, 640-604, 640-605

Hey techxupport,

Good to know that I have someone basically at the same stage as I am. Well, I still have to get cables and stuff and I was hoping that some of the guys that are further along would have given me some input as to the type of setup would suffice for CCNA.

I am familiar with routers and stuff, but I haven't actually implemented from scratch.

However, as you indicated, maybe we can help each other along the way.

Ryan.

Hey Rdurant,

I found the 3' DB60 serial for like ~$8.5 each. Don't know how many I would need for 3 routers. How about you, you have any luck looking for the cables?

I don't know if its appropriate to post the site here. If you let me know your email, I'll send you the link.

Hi Techxupport,

My email is rdurant@caricard.net

Ok guys, I just pickup all my equipment, 3 x 2501, 1912, 4700m.

I connected the 3 routers s0 to the 4500 s0, s1, and s2
connected the 3 routers aui to the 1912 switch

router 1 e0 ip is 192.168.1.101 255.255.255.0
router 2 e0 ip is 192.168.1.102 255.255.255.0
router 3 e0 ip is 192.168.1.103 255.255.255.0
router 1 s0 ip si 192.168.1.104 255.255.255.0
router 2 s0 ip si 192.168.1.105 255.255.255.0
router 3 s0 ip si 192.168.1.106 255.255.255.0
1912 switch ip i s192.168.1.150 255.255.255.0

from the router 1 I can see switch only
from switch I can see all 3 routers
from router 1 I can ping router 2 or router 3?

I am all confused.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong???

Correction.

This is very very weird.

I turn everything off because I am very confused and annoyed.

Now I only have router 1 and the 1912 switch on.
The router is connected to port 23 on the switch thru the aui transceiver int e0. (I've try different ports and they are all the same)

On the switch the port is enable / half duplex, etc....
the LInk light on port 23 is green.

Can anyone tell me why why why I can see the other device when I do show cdp neighbor on either device????

When I turn router 2 on. I can see the switch from router 2 and I can see router 2 from the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back