Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA is near worthless 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I just finish college with a degree in MIS and I having a lot of problems with just finding an entry level position or even an internship. Therefore, I sign up for some IT networking classes, which are A+, MSCE, CCNA, CCNP, and an Intro. to Sec. Administration class.

However, I am very unsure about the hold track itself. I am really wondering if it is the way to go? Maybe, I should really focus on the Data Base Adminstrator track, which requires me to take Oracle DBA, Unix Solaris Admin, Unix Solaris Oper. and Solaris Security. and also C++. I really don't know which track to take? Please, give me your info on which is a better track to take.

I really want to continue my IT career because I have a degree in MIS, but I can't seem to get started. I am doing so bad that this Monday I am starting a $10.00 per/hr job as an Administrative Assistant and I hold a college degree from a University. As you can see this is really not looking good.

Therefore, please give me any info on what to do.

Thanks a million,
Tina

Hi Everyone,

I just finish college with a degree in MIS and I having a lot of problems with just finding an entry level position or even an internship. Therefore, I sign up for some IT networking classes, which are A+, MSCE, CCNA, CCNP, and an Intro. to Sec. Administration class.

However, I am very unsure about the hold track itself. I am really wondering if it is the way to go? Maybe, I should really focus on the Data Base Adminstrator track, which requires me to take Oracle DBA, Unix Solaris Admin, Unix Solaris Oper. and Solaris Security. and also C++. I really don't know which track to take? Please, give me your info on which is a better track to take.

I really want to continue my IT career because I have a degree in MIS, but I can't seem to get started. I am doing so bad that this Monday I am starting a $10.00 per/hr job as an Administrative Assistant and I hold a college degree from a University. As you can see this is really not looking good.

Therefore, please give me any info on what to do.

Thanks a million,
Tina

Tina- right now is rough for anyone without some experience.. doesnt matter if it's IS or not. So far as the question about DBA vs Networking.. do what you like. To make it, you will end up eating, living, breathing your field of speciality.. you might as well like it. Personally, I dont care for programming or admin stuff but I love routers and networks. Not that I cant program, I can and do when I need to.. it's just not my choice.

I would say either will work nicely. THe longer things go. the more data people want to keep around. The more data kept, the more they want to mine it.. etc..etc..

Routers and networks is what lets these folks actually move the data, collect it and make into something useful.. so routers are not going away any time soon.

To get a IS type of job, hit the smaller companies that could not affort a 5 year expert.. but still need some expertise. A friend did this.. he wears a few hats but he has gone from zero experience 2 years ago to some pretty solid experience now(I got ALOT of calls)

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

Dear MikeS,

Thank you very much for your comments. I think I will go with the networking track because I have taken some programming classes (C++ and VB) and like you I didn't like it to much. I can program if need to, but it is like pulling teeth to do so. Therefore, I think I will see how the networking classes goes.

As for my IS entry level position job search, I guess I will just have to keep looking and looking for the smallest companies to start with.

Again thanks MikeS.

Sincerely,
Tina

All this talk about Certs and Paper certs. People have to start somewhere. Be it an M.S in Comp SCi or a Paper CCNA, you want knwo it until someone give you your big break! So come on employeers you have to remember where you came from and were your started. Unfortunately or fortunately H.R. does the hireing and its usually some fat chick that has no clue!!! Im OUT!!!!

Also id like to respond to the Freshman. Hang in there and dont belive the hype in the big hourly wages and the huge salaires a CNA,CCNA,MCP,A+,CCNA commands. Employers still want EXPERIENCE. Slug it out in your $10.00 per hour job if you can for a few years and get as much experience,rack up as many certs, and ask as many question as you can until they are sick of you and fire you or throw you out!!! That is the only way. DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!! MCP mag, Brain Buzz and Monster.com tell everybody that starting salary for a person that hods a CCNA MCSE MCSE+I is about 47,500K BALONEY!!!! They dont live in the real world!!
LATE

My experience has shown me that motivation is the biggest asset one can have. I started in IT in 1992-1993 with a degree from a major University and my goal was not to work for anyone but myself. I took some Novell CNE classes (and never certified), started selling PC's, and eventually started selling networks. Some of the things I had to do were far from glamorous and didn't exactly make me rich, but I stuck with it until I got a big break from a large company that hired me (as an IT out-sourcing company) because they didn't have anybody with the kind of experience I had. Anyway, for about the last 10 years I've gone back and forth between the value of these certifications and I have a come to a few conclusions of my own...

* They help people with no experience
* They help to increase a person's knowledge by giving them a goal (e.g.- passing the test). Otherwise how would they know they "got it?"
* They provide employers a form of discrimation, allowing them to narrow the pool of applicants
* They allow one to join particular associations which may allow them to receive support (and CD's - see MSDN)
* They allow one to brag
* They open doors to opportunities that they might not otherwise have
* They may fulfill a requirement for advancement

The certification debate is old and in essence it is similar to the college degree debate. When one finishes college and gets a diploma, in general one has hopefully learned tools to be able to reason well and theorize - but for all intents and purposes has no practical experience. Likewise, there is almost no way that person has the ability to walk into any skill demanding job and start it without some training OR some time to learn what is expected of them in a job. Conversely, a degree can legitimize someone that has knowledge but has no wya to prove it. For example, you could have grown up on a farm and have all the skills of a vetrinarian but until you get the degree it will not be legal to treat animals. In that same vein, getting certs like the MCSE can legitimize an unemployed IT person with skills but no job and is looking for one.

Finally, to get back to my original premise that motivation is the key to success - one must know exactly why a certification will help them. Define your goal and go after it. If your goal is to to be an IT security analyst - learn to hack and find out how to stop it. Get some books and start reading. Subscribe to trade magazines to keep up with the latest innovations. Start networking (via people not computers) and meeting people. If you must take a class (but don't spend too much). A certification won't do everything for you, but it won't hurt either. So, if you have the time - DO it.

I hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back