Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA done/Need CCNP info

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceshigh0000

Technical User
Nov 4, 2002
US
Hi All,

Just got a 936 on the 607 exam. I used the CCNA study guide, flash cards, and attended the Wave bootcamp. The Wave camp was great--instructor was very knowledgable and there were no surprises on the test.
Now, on to the CCNP--are there any Study guides to avoid? Are there any cheat sheets to use/avoid as well? I want to put in a good 3-4 months study time into this, but I do not want to get off on the wrong foot with lousy material--all comments are appreciated.
Thanks!

Get the CCNP Prep Library (4 books in one set), and
get the boson exam series for all four exams, the
first exam you want to get out of the way is the
640-901 (BSCI) (will cover OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, IS-IS,
VLSM, Route Summarization, IOS, Ripv2, and many
other things). This exam is tough, I passed the
older version of it in June with a 918, but don't
kid yourself, I studied for 4 months (network
academy) and had LOTS of hands on practice before
even attempting this.

Does anyone have a clear path (book title, author and date of publication/ISBN) of the books from Cisco Press that are required for this?

Since they changed to the -6xx codes recently, I am not sure if the "BCRAN" book (for example) now 3 or 4 years old, is still "up to it" for the relevant exam - especially as it covers some now defunct breeds of Cisco router etc.

Alternate solutions to the Cisco Press path are ok, but I have heard mixed reports of some of the alternatives available out there.

I need to know what I am about before I fork out for a 2-week Wave boot-camp - the one with all 4 exams thrown in there for good measure!!

Thanks,
pgn@connectfree.co.nospampleeze.uk

the books to avoid are sybex and exam cram. the books just don't cover all you need to know for the exams. the cisco press books are the best for the exams (i have found). also there is only one ccnp prep library from cisco press. i don't know the all the names on the books, i only have one with me. (building cisco multilayer switched networks by karen webb isbn 1-57870-093-0). this book is included in the library for ccnp.
i also find it alot of help to take the cisco networking classes for the hands on stuff. especially becouse there are so many new commands to learn, in advanced routing, remote access, and in multilayer switching there is a hole new OS to learn (the ios and set based, which is completly diffrent at times). and according to the cisco press web site there should be new versions of the books out some time in november.

hope this helps.

i for got to mention. i found the transenders test to be of great help also.

I found the Sybex books to be full of mistakes, so would advise you staying away from them. I spent about 12 months before I was able to pass all the exams for my CCNP..the exams are difficult. The best results I had, were with the Cisco Press study guides, bosom exams and of course the Transcenders practice tests. Good Luck!

madog99
CCNP, CCDP

I found some info related to the sequence in which the CCNP Preparation Library material should be tackled:

1. CIT, then
2. BSCN, then
3. BCRAN, and finally
4. BCMSN.
(5. Look on Cisco Press website for newer topic, IS-IS).

Now how does this fit in with the 4-volume CCNP Certification library...?

Actually, you should take the BSCN/BSCI first, as it
provides GOOD foundation for the rest of the material
in the CCNP (in addition, it's also probably the
hardest of the tests).

Wow--thanks for all of the responses. I am getting ready to get one of the Cisco Press books now.

You absolutely should not try to take CIT first, I took it last and most people I know with this cert agree that it should be last. You pick up a lot of the information for this test in the other three courses.

I took the tests in this order and it worked for me:
BSCI, BCRAN, BCMSN and CIT.

There is no shortcut to the CCNP, and it is nothing like the CCNA.

Good luck! Mspivey
CCNP

I like the Cisco Press books too.

I used Examcram all through MCSE, CNE, CCNA. But when it came to CCNP, the examcram sucked. There is a lot of info in the Cisco press books that others don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back