Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yehey

Technical User
Nov 23, 2007
AP
Just passed the CCNA Exam last Monday with a very low score of 874/1000. Hey, at least i passed! :D

I want to know which of the CCNP exams would be more practical to tackle first. I've been a Network Engineer for 2 years now and mostly been exposed to enterprise administration. Any advise would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Yehey

Congrats, I always remind people that "what do you call the person that got a C on their medical exam....Doctor".

I think the recommended order is still:
BSCI
BCMSN
ISCW
ONT

I have seen some bits out there about people taking ONT right after the BCMSN because there is some over-lap. But that's about it.

Took my ONT first... but mainly because I have already done my CCVP and there was a ton of overlap with QoS, just added some WiFi to it.

Need to start tackling the rest of it, just haven't had the motivation here lately...

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

What I want to know is how you managed to get hired as a network engineer without a certification. After the week I've had, that'd be some really helpful information.

I have seen people "fall" into the position, sometimes it is who you know and a willing/ability to learn on the job.

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

That's kind of how I ended up. I was getting some exposure to helping with the Cisco gear while a server guy. Then was splitting my time between servers and network. Finally the pulled me completely over to the switching and routing side of things.

Had my novell certs at the time. Cisco came after I had been doing it for a year or so.

I hope I can do that sometime soon. I've gotten about 1-2 years experience now, having gone through 4 semesters of CCNA classes.

I know most things like the back of my hand and have been developing a reputation in my study group as the troubleshooter who can fix any issue, whether I know the cause of the issue or not.

I 'would' have my cert already, but due to a computer glitch that the testing company refuses to own up to, I must re-take the test. I currently have a case filed with the Cisco people over the matter.

Hi CiscoKnight,

I was working as network administrator for an ISP company a couple of years ago but basically managed Linux based routers which runned BGP and OSPF. We didn't needed to obtain Cisco Certifications back then, but when we migrated to an MPLS environment that's the time i decided to obtain Cisco Certifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back