Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ccMail on a Netware 6 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

susantci

MIS
Oct 30, 2001
US
Greetings,
Has any one tried doing this? I am about to do an upgrade from a 4.2 to a 6 and I am trying to anticipate any problems.

Any input is appreciated.
Susan Hebel, MASE, CNE
Senior Network Engineer
TCI Systems, Inc.

I have not tried but anticipate doing it. If you have problem please post a note. I could think that file locking might be a problem if some machines are IPX vs some on pure IP, but otherwise, my guess is it will work fine.

I have CC:MAIL 8.2 and Netware 5.1 running in a pure IP enviroment. 95% of my PCS are W2K others are 95. I have experienced absolutely NO problems with the move from 4.x to 5.1

In testing environments, I have put the CCMail database files on 4.x, 4.11, 4.2, 5.0 and 5.1 versions of Netware - all worked fine. I believe we also tested it running on Win2k, that also worked. I don't think CCMail is too picky about where it is being served from, as long as a mapped drive can be made to it from a client, it just pretty much works.

Eh, sometimes.... as far as a file system to host.. as long as it supports a DOS 5.1 (or something like that.. fergot which version) than its fine.

Where cc:Mail get's screwy is with file locking, caching and permissions. There have been some issues in the last with versions of the netware client that locks files and such where it can causing problems with a post office. Just don't get too fancy with cc:Mail and you'll be fine.

Not a problem, I've been running ccmail on a 6.5 server for several months now BUT!, before letting anyone on ccmail, disable opportunistic locking on the server (OPLOCKS). I didn't and had a ton of problems with bad messages, completely corrupted the message index at one point and I had to rebuild the PO. Problem went away when oplocks were set off.

Al

my pc dos not respnsnse when I need to reset the coms page keeps on rebooting from the cd rom. I don't know what king
of computer is it does not rec.my dvd player also

thaks
floresluipo@earthlink.net

Susan

We installed all the way up to ccMail 5.x on Novell / Netwear 5. I had no problems at my site, but other sites with databases approaching 1 GB had serious corruption problems now and then.

Two thoughts...
- The Novell client must not cache writes.
- Is ccMail supported by the vender on Novell 6?

We migrated to Lotus Notes. Although Notes has more bells and whistles, I really miss the simplicity of ccMail.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back