Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCIE Rack Rental VS Puchasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephandrews

Technical User
Jan 10, 2013
PH
I'm preparing for the CCIE written and labs, I can't decide whether to set up a home rack or rent? I've gone through several forums but no one seems to give out decent suggestions. In terms with renting, do you have suggestions on which provider to Contact? Has anyone heard of presidential learning or INE?

Feedback will be very much appreciated.

If you have access to hardware inexpensively, building a home lab, or something at work if possible, will provide greatest flexability...but financial resources may lead to rental of rack time. INE or IPExpert both have racks for rent .. may or may not be less expensive depending on how much time you need...
Good luck on the quest!!

I built my own lab. After tallying up the cost of the equipment, books, CBT's, and Narbik bookcamp I've got about 12k invested in my CCIE studies. Now, you can purchase a beefy computer, throw a bunch of NIC's in, and install GNS3 along with four switches and you could have functioning lab. My gripes with virtual solutions like GNS3 are a) when the lab goes to 15.x code you won't be able to use it anymore and b) you will encounter some bugs where certain features don't act like they should and you'll be left wondering if the problem is IOS or the virtualization product.

A lot of people go with rack rentals, but it all depends on what track you are pursuing. If you are going data center then you must rent because you won't be able to afford the gear. The two main drawbacks to rentals are a) that you typically have to reserve them in blocks of hours and if you don't use all of your time you end up wasting money and b) scheduling conflicts arise since there are only so many racks and so many hours in the day. With rentals you don't need to invest money in hardware and power. For what it's worth INE is really good for renting.

I built my own racks and also rented them out. I ended up dumping all of it after a few years. Unless you have dedicated space in your home away from living spaces, others will not be happy with the noise, heat and electric bill of running a fully equiped lab. I rent what I need now or I make arrangements with some of my vendors to borrow some bench time at their facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back