Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CC'ed & BCC'ed mail duplicates mail to users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokesembos

Technical User
May 23, 2005
GB
Hi there, I have an odd problem that is starting to wind me up. We have a SBS2003 server and currently out email is hosted by Demon.

Now the problem is that when someone sends an email to out company and its cc'ed of bcc'ed to someone else in the company, the recipients get duplicates messages totaling the amount of people its sent to. e.g. its sent to 1 person in the company and another 2 in the cc field, everyone gets 3 emails.

After messing around it appears that the mail get split when it hits the demon mail box, then again when the exchange server pulls it down. Demon were no real help and just said thats the way it is (yet if I test it the same way but to my own server I only get 1 email showing in the pop3 box before it gets pulls down and distributed)

Any ideas how I could stop the exchange server splitting them again? Or any ideas how I could get around this? I was thinking of cutting out the pop3 box and just having the mail sent direct but I don't really want to do as there is a lot of volume of mail flowing in and out.

Thanks for any advice, Arron.

the mail get split when it hits the demon mail box
Fix the issue where the problem is, Exchange has nothing to do with this, sorry.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Have a look at the shop @ !

Tried this yesterday and demon were having none of it :(

Bite the bullet and find a new mail host that will be more reponsive to your needs, or host it yourself. I will note that your concern about alot of mail flowing in and out is possibly misplaced--all of that traffic is already moving between Demon and your office, after all. OTOH, if Demon is doing spam and virus filtering for you, you WILL see a significant increase in your mail traffic.

Suggested cure to the above: buy some rackspace in a well connected data center, and put your own mail relay there which performs the spam/virus checking function, then delivers to your SBS machine. This will give you the best of both worlds, though at an additional cost, of course.

Thanks for your replies guys, I think I'll sugest moving the mailhost as I've always had problems with Demon (probably just my luck)

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back