Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CC email using html

Status
Not open for further replies.

officemanager2

Technical User
Oct 11, 2007
CA
Hello: I know that if one wants to set up a simple click link email the code in HTML dreamweaver is as follows:

Code:
<a href="mailto:client@hotmail.com">email 
              here</a>

I've been trying to set this up so that the click will also load an email into the CC line. I've tried a few variations, but nothing works. Seems like a simple thing, but I am having no luck with it.

If you must use mailto (which I do not recommend), simply add the parameters that you need separated by '?'.
Code:
<a href="mailto:client@hotmail.com?cc=client3@hootchiegootchie.com">email here</a>

For more parameters, see MailTo Syntax among other places.

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

Thanks, and the link is great as well. Curious, what else is there to use besides 'mailto' ?

With HTML alone no.
But if you have access to a server side language, they usually have some mailing mechanism you can use. This is a much better bet than using the html mailto function as it relies on the users having a Mail client (such as Outlook) and have it properly configured. If for any reason they don't have one, or just don't have it configured to send email, then email will not get sent.

Additionally since it relies on a user's application the user can control whether or not it is sent even if the mail client is available and configured correctly.

If its something that must absolutely be sent upon completion then a server side language may be the better choice.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

officemanager,

You mean other ways to do e-mail from a page or other link types?

Server side:
Most serverside language has a built in way

Other link types:
link protocols most browsers understand (little to no setup client side):
http:
https:
file:

Most browsers understand, require client browser settings to know what application to launch:
mailto:
telnet:
ftp:
sftp:

iPhone or if you have Skype:
tel:

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor