Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

causes of system crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinchdog

Programmer
Feb 14, 2001
US
i wrote a program that caused a computer system to crash (not my intention). if it works on the development machine, how is this possible? Could it be the install program? i'm using Windows Installer. what should i look for in the code that would cause these type of catastrophic problems?

I would start by looking for system files that may have been overwritten during installation.

Good luck.

windows installer has certain file it adds as dependencies. some are merge modules others are not. why would it add things that could cause a system crash? are there certain file that absoultely shouldn't be copied?

What OS are you using? I recently had a problem with a printing app that was causing my Win2000 Servers to reboot. It turned out to be a documented problem with Win2000 Server; was supposed to be fixed in SP2 but that's not the case. I ended up moving to an NT4 Server, with no more problems.

If it is a 2000 server, make sure you have the Automatically Reboot options UNCHECKED under Startup and Recovery. This will allow you find the exception (should also be able to find it in the Event Viewer) and might help in researching the cause.

O.

i developed on windows 2000 but i want to deploy on all windows versions. the problem occurred on window 98. unfortunately i don't have access the the machine that the problem occured on. but my program doesn't do to much. i uses a Access 2000 database, wininet and webbrowser. could any of these cause a problem?

If you did not define Internet Explorer objects "As Object" (late binding) and the IE on your machine is different from the IE on Win98 then your program will not work.

What do you "system crash". Yoyur applicatio of the usrs entire machine requiring a reboot.

Rule 1: Always use "late binding" on external Automation Objects that will reside on the user's machine and you will not install e.g. Internet Explorer, Web Browser, Office (Word,Excel,Access, Outlokk etc) ad nauseum.

IE 4 and IE 5 are NOT "early binding" compatible.
Generate Forms/Controls Resizing/Tabbing Class
Compare Code (Text)
Generate Sort Class in VB or VBScript

thanks, is it also a good idea to use some sort of 3rd party crash protection/error handling program?

if you use late binding with Webbrowser, how can you embed it in a form and how can you use it's methods, such as DocumentComplete, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back