Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catchall Account 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2003
US
Does anyone know how to create a user mailbox that will catchall (copy of)incomming and outgoing mail?

I want to create an account that will keep a copy of all email sent and recieved by other users until we purchase some backup software.

Thank you.

Yes that i possible, but i don't see how that will solve you backup issue. When the server crashes, that account will be gone or damaged just as easy as any other.

on top of that, BEFORE you would do that, are ALL your users aware of this? The fact that you will be catching all their emails, and have the means to read it, is a breach of privacy, and illegal!
Make sure everyone is very aware of this, or you could find yourself in deep trouble!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I am also interested in keeping a copy of all incoming and out going mail. Yes all of our employees are aware of this fact in is in our company hand book. Can some one tell me how it is done.

OK, here we go:

- Open System Manager
- Open Administrative Groups
- Open your Server
- Open First Storage Group
- Goto Mailbox Store, right-click it for Properties.

In General, you can set the Account that will receive ALL traffic, in and out. This is in the Field "Archive all messages sent or received..."

Thank you marcs41 - I will give it a try.

Thanks guys, did not get a chance to get back to the thresad till now but I figured it out. Not looking for total recovery, i know that if exchange goes down then...

But i am using it in means of individual mailbox recovery (something i should have stated).

Small company and everyone knows that the email is for work only and all personal email should be through their own private account like hotmail or whatever they have.

If you don't have a backup running, I would strongly suggest you use an old PC for that catchall mailbox, and have Outlook run on it all the time, but store the mail in a local PST.
That way, if the server goes down or worse, you will still have the emails.
You can always make a copy of the PST to the network from time to time.

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back