Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

catastrophic failure - While testing DSN. Please Hlp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

josel

Programmer
Oct 16, 2001
US
Hello friends!

I ran into this problem and have no idea which direction to go nor what to look for. Please see if you can help me out!

1) I have an Access data base named Starblinds
2) Created ODBC Access DSN via control panel under Sys DSN
3) Within DWUD, Modify, Connections

There is a connection there already which I figue is the
one defined by original programmer/developer. I opened
the dropdown menu and chose Starblinds as DSN.

4) I get an error as I click TEST
The error: Catastrophic failure!

If I change the DSN to any other existing DSN from the
dropdown, TEST works fine!

The DWUD web site is located in c:\inetpub\cbsareus\starblinds. The data base is in a sub-directory c:\inetpub\cbsareus\starblinds\database.

What is the meaning of this error? How can I fix it?

I guess I have a lot of reading to do ... I am already reading the online help pages.

Thank you all in advance for your time and assistance!

Regards;

Jose Lerebours

KNOWLEDGE: Something you can give away enlessly and gain more of it in the process! - Jose Lerebours

In modify connections click the connection you require then edit click the box for dsn and make sure you select the dsn that you have set up, if that doesnt do it come back and we can try again. A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

Hello Cheech!

I solved it - the hard way!

1) I removed all files from HD
2) I removed DWUD
3) Copied all files back to HD and made sure they were not read only (properties/attribute)
4) Installed DWUD
5) Defined DSN connection and it worked!

I don't know if the problem was due to file attributes or if DWUD needed to be reinstalled. Possibly, having defined the DSN via control panel/admin tools/odbc was the cause (not that it should).

I have learned that in computing, often the fastest way there is the longest path, so I applied that principle and it is fine now - DWUD is now resolving data inquiries and pages are no longer giving me those weird errors which abviously were related to problematic DSN connection.

Thanks for your time and suggestion!

Regards;

Jose Lerebours

KNOWLEDGE: Something you can give away enlessly and gain more of it in the process! - Jose Lerebours

I set up dsn's on my devlopment server with Netmeeting> control panel>blah blah all the time so that shouldn't have caused a problem. but as it is now solved goodluck with it.. A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

I am having a similar error. DWUD Keeps getting shut down by Win XP with an error "cannot write to memory module" yadda yadda JavaScript Error. I have no idea why this would close the entire app!

Is anyone else experiencing similar frequent closures? Do I need to reset file permissions?

Hyfen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back