Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalyst 5000 error on most/all 10/100 ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

AidanEnos

MIS
Dec 11, 2000
SYS-3-PORT_ERR:port 8/2 swBusCRCErrorDrop (180)

Can anyone enlighten me on this error and what additional information you would need to explain it.

Thanks,

AidanEnos

SYS-3-PORT_ERR: Port [dec]/[dec] [chars] ([dec])

Explanation This message indicates that a port error has been detected; [dec]/[dec] is the module number/port number, [chars] is the port counter name, and ([dec]) is the counter value.

Action Contact your technical support representative.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The above is the official meaning of the error message from CCO (Cisco Connection Online).

What I can tell you is that if you do a:

1# show port
2# show mac

Do you see any errors under these ports? Do you have any error conditions enabled to shut these ports? Which ports after the above 2 commands do you see lots of errors on? What devices are they connected to? And what settings are the speed/duplex set to?

We are seeing this error on all active 10/100 ports - all at auto negotiation. It seems at this point that the software we are using in the C5500, version 6.1(1) is the first release of code to report this alarm.

I'm waiting to deal with Cisco on this later today and will update the resolution - betcha it's a code downgrade they reccommend :eek:) Stick your head in the sand and hope it goes away!

AidanEnos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back