Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalyst 4006/WS-X-4013 Slow 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rleeunc

MIS
Feb 28, 2001
US
We recently replaced out 10 mb equipment with 100mb Cisco switches, etc. set uup by a VAR. Unfortunatyely the valuse added part was missing. Several of my users (including me) can't get an IP addrees at bootup. If you let the machine sit 10-15 minutes, then you can login. We're also getting scattered slowdowns in MS Outlook 98, requiring several retries for some users before they can get into their mailbox. Also, I can no longer run User manager from my PC or change my NT password. I get an error for both that the domain cannot be found. Thanks for any assistance you can provide. I'm new and drowning in this mess. I have no documentation from the VAR and very little from our previous LAN Admin who quit. RLee@NCDOI.net

Try enabling spanning-tree portfast, which allows the port to go straight to forwarding mode, not spend 90 odd seconds going through listening/learning.

NOTE: Only do this for END NODES, do NOT enable it on any port connected to another switch or router.

Cheers
Phil.

Hi the 4000 series has some funky features that are turned on by default.

Set port host a/b (where 'a' is your port and 'b' the module
This turns off trunking, etherchannel and enables spantree port fast

Also some modules have the facility to supply power to a Cisco ip phone, this needs to be turned off as well. The command is..
Set port inlinepower a/b off (where 'a' is your port and 'b' the module

This should resolve your problems.

<cut/paste>
NOTE: Only do this for END NODES, do NOT enable it on any port
connected to another switch or router.

I have a similar issue. I have a 4006. I have solved the end user issues using the portfast on. However I am having an issue w/ bandwidth between floors. Due to budgetary reasons we have not upgraded the switches/hubs on the remote floor (coming next year!) We have a series of Netgear switches and hubs (all 10/100 auto sensing) that are uplinked (uplink ports hardcoded for full duplex)and connected to a single port on the 4006. That port is in it's own VLAN and I have portfast turned off, speed and duplexing hard set at 100/full. However I am getting ABYSMAL bandwidth. As I monitor it.. I RARELY get above 2Mbps thoroughput! My users on the floor actually get BETTER response when their NIC's are hard coded to 10/half! (whether they are on a port that is on a switch or hub!) I am sure that a Cisco 3948XL w/ gigabit GBIC connected to the 4006 would do WONDERS but that is next year's budget item. I need to get the floors communicating at full available speed until then. Any ideas or suggestions?

TIA
Stephen

Stephen,

Just a note,
Some NICs do not properly negotiate to full 100. I would set the Cisco to auto and try from the cleint to set 100 full. Also there was a problem with NT using full 100. I think this was fixed but not sure.

Also make sure you do not saturate the servers. Most clients do not need more then 10 full. Example:

10 clients at 100 full downloading from one server at 100 full == 2000mb request from clients and 200mb response from server. (You can never get this high but just for example)

Under this example one client could tie up the server with a large download and could cause TCP timeouts and retries.

Anyhow check that there is not an issue with the manufacture of the NIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back