Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalyst 3550 to replace Cisco 2620???

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepblue61

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2002
CA
Hi, all:

My ISP offers me a 100 Base Ethernet Extension Circuit, they dropped a Catalyst 1912 as their D-Mark Switch, my Cisco 2620 is connect to Trunking port B of this D-Mark Switch, 2620 connect to a 3com switch which connect to my multicast server. Now my multicast server is feeding the data to 5 clients through this network config. 5 clients coming through this trunking port A of 1912, they have been configured as 5 VLANs. In my cisco 2620 ethernet interface 0/1, 5 subinterfaces have been setup to connect to trunking B of 1912. With this config 5 different clients can connect to the same server through one router. That's my purpose. And it works fine for long.
Now I'm going to use Catalyst 3550 to replace this Cisco 2620, Do you guys think it is ok?
I think two ports will be setup in 3550, one is trunking port to manage the traffic of 5 VLAN, other port will be connected to 3 com switch as before, does it need to be trunked port, or not? how do I config the switch in this case?

Just want to make it clear:
my cisco 2620 has two ethernet interfaces, one 0/0 connects to 3com switch, the other 0/1 connect to 1912 trunking port B :) :)

I would use the 3550 for everything. The 3550 will blow the 3com and the 2600 out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back