Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

catalyst 3500 series xl

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalsouls

Technical User
Sep 22, 2003
GB
Hi, on the front of my switches at work there is a IP address. we are on RM's Community connect 3 (xp) we used to be on 2.4 (98) this was before i came to the school. now some how the ip address in the switches have been changed from what they where. is there any way to get the current IP addresses.

Please i am only new at this and if i have not explained it enough please tell me.

Thank you Richard Bell

Digitalsouls,

Before I start to write a long reply and look stupid.. what is RM's Community connect 3 ?

(I wonder if I already sound stupid for not knowing that)..;-)

InD.

CCNA

I am glad someone else asked that question!

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

Its nothing interesting its just a education product. basicly its windows XP. that doesnt matter i was just saying that it some how got changed and i dont know the current IP address.

Digitalsouls,

Ok then here we go:

The options depend on if you have passwords and on what your network looks like.

Option one:

if the switch is connected to another cisco switch and cdp is enabled on the ports you can do a show cdp neigh det. This will reveal the ip-address of the switch.

Option two:

Do a password recovery on the switch and remember to save the configuration during the recovery to another name. when you are in the switch when the passwords are reset do a more newfilename to see what ip-address was configured before and write down the password if it is not encrypted (since I do not think you have them). Then rename the file to config.text and reboot the switch. The switch will come up with the old configuration.

option 3:

If I remember correctly (correct me if I am wrong) the mac-address is on a label on the switch. Write down the mac-address then go to the nearest router and do a show ip arp <mac-address> and voila your ip-address will show up.

option 4:

The switch is probably connected to a router interface. Find out wich interface it is and do a show ip arp on that interface on the router. Then write down all teh ip-addresses of all teh switches and see wich ip-address you see after doing a sh ip arp on the interface you did not write down.

Well I hope that helped you in some way. If you are having trouble with an option just reply and I will try to explain it more clearly.

InD.

CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back