Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalyst 2950 Problems & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

binaryops

ISP
May 2, 2004
US
I just bought a used 24 port Catalyst 2950 off of ebay and recieved it today. I am having troubles with a few things.

1.) Can't find any documentation on opening up the case/shell of the catalyst so I can check it all out.

2.) I am able to console into the catalyst, however it's passwd protected. I proceeded to do a passwd recovery and just reset the system and here's the problem I'm running into:

Following are the commands that I'm told to run and everything is fine up to a certain point.

a.) unplug power, hold down mode button while re-plugging power back in.
b.) Takes me to switch mode so I run the following commands:
c.) flash_init
load_helper
dir flash:

After dir flash: I get the following -

switch: dir flash:
Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 1674921 <date> c2950-c3h2s-mz.120-5.3.WC.1.bin
3 -rwx 220 <date> env_vars
4 drwx 10176 <date> html
165 -rwx 1544 <date> config.text

4778496 bytes available (2962944 bytes used)

I'm then told to type the following so I type:

d.) rename flash:config.text flash:config.old

After this command, I get the following error message and can't proceed past this point:

switch: rename flash:config.txt flash:config.old
rename: no such file or directory

I'm assuming that it means exactly what it'saying because their is no config.old in my dir flash:

So I tried the following command, thinking that this was what it was talking about:

switch: rename flash:config.txt flash:c2950-c3h2s-mz.120-5.3.WC.1.bin

and no worky. What am I missing here. What do I need to be typing in here so I can get past this sequence and proceed to getting on my way on this Catalyst.

Any and all help is very much welcome. Once we pass this point, I'll have more ?'s as I'm new to all of this.

I have a 2514/2501/2504/2950 all rack mounted in a 4ft 19in Rack.

*gonna plink around with CNA tonight to see if that will provide me some GUI interfacing with my Catalyst since I can't yet do anything CLI.

Thank you,
Binary

I finally figured out the Password recovery and have things working from console into my 2950, however, I still need documentation on setting up my switch to work with my cisco 2514 / 2501 / 2504 and get started on my lab.

Thankyou,
binary

Is there anyone out there familiar with this kind of network setup please? I appreciate any info that you can find/give to me.

Binaryops

Ok, I'll have to try that command. Another ? I have though is how the heck do you get Network Assistant to work? I downloaded it and have yet to see it work. While consoled into my 2950, I start up Network Assistant, it asks me for the i.p. address of the device I want to connect to. I have my 2950 Vlan 1 configured with 172.16.1.0/24, so I input 172.16.1.0. Is it not connecting because I'm putting in a network block, rather than a usable i.p. from that block. Or do I need to configure one of the switch ports (ex. fa0/1) with a usable i.p. from the block I've assigned to the Vlan 1 and then connect via ethernet to that switch port? I'm a little confused on how to get Network Assistant set up so I can see this nice GUI that it provides. I've through the documentation on Cisco'd website concerning Network Assistance, but can't seem to find the right info on these basics and what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any help you can provide!

binary

I want to upgrade all my routers to the latest IOS. Is there anyone that can get me IOS 12.4T or 12.3 or do you know where I could get this? How much does it cost to get an IOS from Cisco?

Thanks

To get an updated IOS you need to have a valid service contract; I don't believe that Cisco regard software licences as being transferrable (although this is possibly illegal in some countries) so they are unlikely to offer a service contract to secondhand equipment.

As far as giving your switch vlan management access, you need to assign the Vlan a usable IP address within the subnet you are using. The following is an example of this:

Configure the VLAN as an interface and assign an IP address.

interface Vlan1
ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back