Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalyst 2900 XL Ports down 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpuguru

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2001
US
I have a 2900 switch. Ports 22-24 show a status of down. Ports 1-21 all show status up, however about 1 hr ago port 21 went down. Is there a way to force the ports up from the telnet command line? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Yes...

If your check your interface status "show int fa 0/22" or something similar, you should see the port status. If it shows administrativly down, then you can issue a "no shutdown" command while in config mode. If the port status is "port is down, line is down" then something else is likely the problem, as it is not in forced shutdown mode.

Check your cabling. Maybe bring a working laptop with a known good cable, and test those ports to see if you can get a legitimate link.

i had that happen to me once and it ended up being a bad switch... it took me covering all the basics. then i opened up a smartnet contract with cisco and they concurred.

i'm not saying yours is bad... do the basics.

gl

I actually had a lightning hit occur last week and it hit a Cisco Catalyst 2924XL-EN. The wild thing is, it must have went through the CAT 5 cable or older COAX through a hub. In any case, the ports were actually blinking a dark amber color every half second, never a green or bright amber. Also the MODE status light were also blinking dark amber. I called SmartNet, tried to console into it and telnet and it was a no go. They decided it was fried and had me send it back, a day later I had a new switch.

I have also seen problems with ports going down on 2900XL-EN switches with no recovery short of wipping out the config. In my environment, the scenario involved the switches running 12.0.5-XU code with a cabling plant including IBM Type 1 connections. With the Type 1 connectors, since they were designed for Token Ring and automatically wrap around the internal wires to prevent breaks in the ring, when used in an Ethernet environment the wrap arounds can cause a switch's BPDUs to wrap around and come back to its source port. When that happened on our 2900's, the affected ports shut down and could not be recovered despite trying the shut/no-shut routine, cold starts, reloads, etc. Under 12.0.5-XU, the only recovery we had to get those ports back was to blast away the config and re-start the switch. A subsequent release of 12.0.5(2)-XU provided a fix for the situation.

please tell me how can i install catalyst 2900 switch and superscout (fire wall) that super scout acts correct?

I have one inverse problem as follow:

One Cisco 2924 XL switch, the 1-4 porst could not work,when connected one computer to these ports, the port LED not light. Check the switch using Web browse, found these ports are always in UP status although these ports no connected to computer. Use "Show Version" command, found the follow information.

Processor is running Standard Edition Software
Cluster member switch capable
20 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

Why is "20 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)", not "24 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)"?

Thanks for any help.

Cao Wenhui

We had lightning hit our building and it nailed our cablemodem line which traveled all throughout our building knocking out PC's all over the building and killing about 4 Cisco switches....It was painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back