Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalyst 2900 XL EN Console port

Status
Not open for further replies.

OuTRagE

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
NL
Hi!

We are a Dutch LAN party organization called Onfrag, since a few weeks we are the proud owner of 2 Cisco catalyst 2900XL switches (WS-C2924-XL-EN)(IOS 12.0.5.1).

Because they were second hand there were no supplies included (and we are non-profit) so we had to build the console cable ourselves using the following scheme.

(all in one rollover & RJ-45 to DB9)

RJ-45 DB-9

1 - 7
2 - 4
3 - 3
4 - 5
5 - 5
6 - 2
7 - 6
8 - 8

hyperterminal (9600,8, 1 stop bit, no parity) says we're connected... but.... nothing happens....

Can anyone tell us what cause of this problem may be?

Thanks in advance,

OuTRagE (and the entire Onfrag crew)

I just happen to have a rollover cable sitting right in front of me, and I can say that from one RJ-45 to the other RJ-45 - the pins are just simply reversed.

1 - 8
2 - 7
3 - 6
4 - 5
5 - 4
6 - 3
7 - 2
8 - 1

Of course, that is without the DB-9 connector. Im not sure how you "built" a DB-9, but all you need to do is find a RJ-45 to DB-9 adaptor to stick on the end of this cable I just gave the pint layout for. There is always one laying around somewhere over here, but you can get them super cheap if you need to buy one. Just make sure it is straight through, and not null-modem.

That should fix your problem...

Thnx for responding,

I used the scheme from the cisco site (see link)

The Scheme Cisco provided

Rollover RJ-45 to DB9 OWN Generated All in one
Signal RJ-45 RJ-45 DB-9 Signal
RTS 1 8 8 CTS 7
Not con 2 7 6 DSR 4
TxD 3 6 2 RxD 3
GND 4 5 5 GND 5
GND 5 4 5 GND 5
RxD 6 3 3 TxD 2
Not con 7 2 4 DTR 6
CTS 8 1 7 RTS 8

example :

first 1 becomes 8, so i looked at 8 .. 8 has to be connected to DB-9 pin 7 so i have to connect RJ45 1 to Pin 7 of DB9

so the Rollover cable should be included... but i've read the post "No IOS through console...help!!!" and i think it isn't the cable... (but nobody knows what te problem is atm......)

Thnx & Greetz OuTRagE...

OuTRagE,

Try the following pin out:

RJ-45 DB9
1 - 8
2 - 6
3 - 2
4 - 5
5 - 5
6 - 3
7 - 4
8 - 7

Note that RJ-45 pins 4 & 5 are bridged to DB9 pin 5.
Good luck.

Maybe that pinout will work.. but i have to solder the cable again (whoow it's a huge amouth of 8 pins :p ) so i want to try this first:

"While the power cord is out hold down the "Mode" button, reconnect the power cord to the switch. You can release the "Mode" button a second or two after the LED above Port 1 x goes off"

this is used to recover passwords.. but it also resets some values (baud rate etc.) so maybe this will solve the problem.. but what does it exactly? (does it dangerous things like erasasing the IOS or something??)

As long as the switch works as a "tweaked" hub it's fine (we don't need vlans etc. at the moment) but can we do this thing without any hazard?

(you might been asking "why do they want to use the console if the just want to have it working" .. we’re interested in networking and want to explore the possibilities of the switch to gain more knowledge of networking and to improve the network functionality…)

Thnx in advance... (after this is will try the alternate pinout)

Just tried the pinout wich teletec1052 proposed.. i tried all possible baudrates in tera term but unfortunately it did't work out :( (hyperterminal gave also no results)

so i think it is the same problem as netintern's problem in "No IOS through console...help!!!"

Thanks for your support!

I do cisco work everyday and the swap revese cable diagram is the correct
Signal RJ-45 RJ-45
RTS 1 8
Not con 2 7
TxD 3 6
GND 4 5
GND 5 4
RxD 6 3
Not con 7 2
CTS 8 1

The thing is you guys I thnk are making a DB9 connector man your making it hard on yourself I just dropped by a electronics store and got a DB9- RJ45 connector it would cost you about 2 dollars US. I know for a fact then it would work now mind you I hate working on solder so this is just a thought. but that cable thay mentioned above should work. baud settings for the unit are 8,N,1 9600 ANSI

Whooooohooooooo!!!!!

Thank you all!!!! (especially teletec1052)

I've been trying some combinations.. rechecked everyting... and Finally @ 20.18 local time (GMT +1) i saw the wonderful bootupscreen of the switch... :)

I don't know why it didn't work out the first time, but now i can discover the switch and I'll hope next time i can help other people with their problems..

Thank you!

greets OuTRagE...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back