Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalog Prompts and Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinetic123

Programmer
Nov 23, 2001
US
I have been trying to use a catalog prompt in Impromptu ,more than once in a catalog condition (filter) (e.g) start_date >=to_date( promptA,'mm/dd/yyyy') and end_date<=to_date(promptA,'mm/dd/yyyy)

The prompt accepts a string and uses that in the filter after converting it to a date.

In the report filter i use the catalog filter.

At run time i supply the prompt value.

when i verify the SQL, i find that in the filter condition, only the first reference to the prompt has the value that the user enetered where as the second reference to the prompt picks up the default value. Why?

I am using Series 7.

kinetic,

This looks like a new bug in Series 7. No references to this type of problem in the Cognos KB, and I've never seen it before. You may want to call it in to Cognos support if you have it. Also, can you post the EXACT product version as reported in Help - About Impromptu. This could help others that might see the problem.

Anyone else seen this?

Dave Griffin :)

Kinetic,

I have the list of bugs fixed in MR1 (Maintenance Release 1) for Impromptu Series 7. One of the fixes (#355043) relates to problems when using a prompt twice in a report. This may be your problem. MR1 shipped about two weeks ago.

HTH,

Dave Griffin ;-)

Kinetic,

You can also avoid calling the prompt twice (and make the select a little more efficient) by using the BETWEEN clause, as in:

to_date( promptA,'mm/dd/yyyy') BETWEEN start_date AND end_date ...

This will also pick up the ends of the range, which is what it looks like you want to do anyway.

HTH,

Dave Griffin ;-)

griffindm,

Thanks for your response. I have got MR1 and am fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back