Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalog Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gandhids

Programmer
May 17, 2003
US
Hi,
I have a catalog with some tables and a database view.The catalog and all the reports associated with it are working fine.But when i send it to somebody be mail, and the guy at other end tries to open the report,it says view or table not found.The report is unable to find data item from view.I have predefined database log on in a catalog.So that shouldn't be an issue.Moreover when i try to retrieve view and tables on clicking'Retrieve tables', it is taking long and not opening.Please suggest how shall i go about.

I am assuming that your are connecting to the Oracle database.
Open the catalog which you are using to run the reports
From the file menu Open the catalog->databases.It opens in a new window.From Oracle select the database name you are using to connect.Click on Edit button and make sure that
in SQL*Net Connect string correct TNSname is selected(which is used to connect to the Oracle database).Then test the connection.
Next Open the Catalog->Tables and make sure that correct database name is selected from the database pick list.
I hope u can run the report now.

If the retrieve of data is taking long time try to run the query in SQL*Plus window .we can come to know whether it's problem with data retrieval or not.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply...
But i have already tried both the options.May main concern was,when i click on retrieve tables(having selected tables and view), it is taking too long to retrieve metadata and so i am not able to find whether that view has been retrieved or not.Unless i do that, my view won't be added to metadata and i will keep on getting the error as i am getting now that "a field from that view is missing"
waititng for your reply....

gandhids,

What bhas79 is telling you is that it appears your problem is in data access from your computer, not in Impromptu. He is suggesting that you try to access the data (either your new view or other tables) from the same database via another data access tool. You can use SQLPlus in Oracle, ISQLW in SQL Server, or Access or Excel if you have an ODBC connection to your data. If any of these tools are having the same problem retrieving data, then Impromptu will also have problems, either in retrieving metadata or actual data. If this is the case, you need to address why the computer is not seeing the database (driver setup, tnsnames, etc) before Impromptu can run reports or allow catalog table changes.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ20-2863 first!

First make sure the guy you are sending this report to by mail has the same updated catalog that you do. The views may not be updated on his version as yours. The best way to avoid this is point the original report to one catalog on your network that you both can read from.

CP

If you are using ODBC connection go to ODBC Data Source Administrator Go the tracing tab and check whether start tracing Now is running or not.if it's running stop the tracing and try to retrieve the views.
Also try to retrieve the views on some other machine and run the report.it may narrow the problem.

Post the specific details of the problem(what type of connection,..etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back