Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalog Joins

Status
Not open for further replies.

gandhids

Programmer
May 17, 2003
US
Hi,
I have 5 tables A,B,C,D,E
A
Investment_detail_ID

B
Investment_detail_ID
Investment_id
c

Investment_id
Deal_id

D
Deal_id

E
Deal_ID

on Joining the A,B,C,D I get some deal_ids.Now if I have to find out which ids of these result set are not there in table of e, how can join tables??Currently I have A and B joined on Investment_detail_id, B and C joined on Investment_id , c and d joined on deal_id, and now how shall i join d and e.If i join them on deal_id, i miss those deal_id which i get from the combination of A,B,C,D.Can outer join be the solution.
If so,How??which tables shall i perform outer joins on.My report will require the data fromtable A and E.
Thanks

In the catalog-join between D and E, place the outer join check mark on D. This will force all rows that satisfy A,B,C,D to display with NULL (MISSING VALUES) for E.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.I tried doing the same.But i forgot to tell you one thing.I have two fields called balance_month and balance_year in both the tables A and E.In filter i put the condition as follows
A.balance_month =03 nad A.Balance_Year=2003 and E.balance_month =03 nad E.Balance_Year=2003 .Once i put this, i guess, it nullifies the effect of outer join.If i don't put this condition. i get multiple records.

waiting for your reply

the above problem gets resolved if by any way i could get my query to do as follows
D."DEAL_ID"=E."DEAL_ID" and
E."BALANCE_MONTH"(+)=03 and
E."BALANCE_YEAR"(+)=2003 and
When i specify outer join between D and E, still i need to have some arrangement for balance_month and Balance_year as above.How do i acieve it at catalog level.Month 03 and Year 2003 i have taken for a particular month.

Further to my above thread for outer join condition at the catalog level, construct the following filter condition and this should resolve your issue;

A.balance_month = 03 and A.Balance_Year=2003 and ((E.balance_month =03 or E.balance_month is missing) and (E.Balance_Year=2003 or E.Balance_Year is missing))

It is not advisable to build this filter condition at the catalog level.

Hi nagrajm,
Yor suggestion seems to be quite helpful.See, i should have got three missing deals whereas i am getting only one deal when i modify the query as u suggested.here is the query, may be u can have a look over it...what could be the reasons...Please revert.
select "c8" "c1", "c7" "c2", "c5" "c3", "c6" "c4"
from (select count(distinct T1."DEAL_ID") "c5"
from "EDW_ODS"."INVESTMENT" T4, "EDW_ODS"."INVESTMENT_DETAIL" T5, "EDW_ODS"."INVESTMENT_DETAIL_BALANCES" T2, "EDW_ODS"."DEAL" T1, "EDW_ODS"."DEAL_BALANCES" T3
where T1."DEAL_ID"=T3."DEAL_ID"(+) and T1."DEAL_ID"=T4."DEAL_ID" and T4."INVESTMENT_ID"=T5."INVESTMENT_ID" and T2."INVESTMENT_DETAIL_ID"=T5."INVESTMENT_DETAIL_ID" and (T3."BALANCE_MONTH"=3 or T3."BALANCE_MONTH" is null) and (T3."BALANCE_YEAR"=2003 or T3."BALANCE_YEAR" is null) and T2."BALANCE_MONTH"=3 and T2."BALANCE_YEAR"=2003) D2, (select T3."DEAL_ID" "c6", T2."INVESTMENT_DETAIL_ID" "c7", T1."DEAL_ID" "c8"
from "EDW_ODS"."INVESTMENT" T4, "EDW_ODS"."INVESTMENT_DETAIL" T5, "EDW_ODS"."INVESTMENT_DETAIL_BALANCES" T2, "EDW_ODS"."DEAL" T1, "EDW_ODS"."DEAL_BALANCES" T3
where T1."DEAL_ID"=T3."DEAL_ID"(+) and T1."DEAL_ID"=T4."DEAL_ID" and T4."INVESTMENT_ID"=T5."INVESTMENT_ID" and T2."INVESTMENT_DETAIL_ID"=T5."INVESTMENT_DETAIL_ID" and (T3."BALANCE_MONTH"=3 or T3."BALANCE_MONTH" is null) and (T3."BALANCE_YEAR"=2003 or T3."BALANCE_YEAR" is null) and T2."BALANCE_MONTH"=3 and T2."BALANCE_YEAR"=2003) D1
order by "c4" desc

When I compared your A,B,C,D,E tables with T1,T2,T3,T4,T5 I inferred;

A=T2
B=T5
C=T4
D=T3
E=T1

The joins you had wanted to establish was

A=B T2=T5
B=C T5=T4
C=D T4=T3
D(+)=E T3(+)=T1

However, I see the following join that is not represented above;

T1."DEAL_ID"=T4."DEAL_ID"

The above join should instead be

T3."DEAL_ID"=T4."DEAL_ID"

I think this should resolve your issue.

Thanks for your reply...
here is the corrected matching....could you please suggest now where i missed..
A=T2
B=T5
C=T4
D=T1
E=T3

Your joins seem OK. I do not see any apparent errors. Perhaps, you should re-check your output to see if it indeed satisfies all your business rules!!!

I do not know if you should rewrite the following condition from (shouldn't make any difference really).

(T3."BALANCE_MONTH"=3 or T3."BALANCE_MONTH" is null) and (T3."BALANCE_YEAR"=2003 or T3."BALANCE_YEAR" is null) and T2."BALANCE_MONTH"=3 and T2."BALANCE_YEAR"=2003)

to

((T3."BALANCE_MONTH"=3 and T3."BALANCE_YEAR"=2003) or (T3."BALANCE_MONTH" is null and T3."BALANCE_YEAR" is null)) and T2."BALANCE_MONTH"=3 and T2."BALANCE_YEAR"=2003

Sorry, could not help beyond this. Let me know if anything worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back