Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalog fails after moving "openv" directory. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

msleeper

MIS
Jan 29, 2003
US
We are running out of room on our current "/usr/openv" partition, so I rsynced the data to a new larger partition. I stopped Netbackup, ran bp.kill_all, synced the two partitions and changed my soft link under /usr to point to the new "openv" partition. No Problem.

I ended up having to reboot the system for another reason, but Netbackup came up just fine and ran backups all night with no problem. However, when it came time to backup the catalog it failed with status code 6 "the backup failed to back up the requested files". The file it was looking for was "/usr/openv/db/staging/EMM_DATA.db".

The staging directory has nothing in it, but the file does exist under "/usr/openv/db/data". Checking the OLD file system showed nothing under its staging directory either. Just for fun I tried copying the EMM file from data to staging and running a manual catalog backup... no luck.

If I change the softlink to "openv" back to the original partition the catalog backs up fine... what am I missing?

As always, thanks for all of your excellent help!
Mark

I would try removing and recreating you catalog job
Then kick off a manual backup of the catalog from the policy

I've tried manually kicking off a catalog backup and it still fails.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to tell it what paths to backup for the catalog job?

The hot catalog backup in NB6 doesn't allow you to specify the files or paths.

However after much research and an email to Veritas tech support I found the answer to my problem!

Turns out that Netbackup doesn't support having the openv directory on an NFS file system!!! Go figure. So I rebuilt my local RAID using much larger disks, rsynced the openv directory back to it and it worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back