Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catalog Backups 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAW

MIS
Oct 22, 2002
US
We have Veritas NetBackup 4.5 installed on windows master servers and the catalog backup completes normal with a return code of zero but the current kilobytes written and current files written are 0. Is this just an error in the way it reports the catalog backup or is nothing getting backed up.

Thx
TAW

You know the tape number that is being used so you can verify the data on the tape by running:
bpmedialist -m <tape number>
This will give you all the info that you need to know.

It is normal for the catalog backup to report 0 Kbytes and 0 files written. If you want to verify the catalog use the -l option of bprecover to list the contents of the catalog backup.
the man page shows this example:

List the backup header information from media ID JBL29, which is
density 8mm.

#bprecover -l -ev JBL29 -d 8mm
Database Backup Information from JBL29

Created: 04/02/93 05:50:51
Server: bphost
Block size: 32768

Path
----
IMAGE1 /usr/openv/netbackup/db
IMAGE2 /usr/openv/volmgr/database

of course this is only the headers of the catalog and not the actual data. I have created a catalog, stopped netbackup, changed the mountpoints, bprecovered, restarted netbackup as a test. It was kinda fun in a geeky way :)

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

you can backup it to the disk storage unit ,and you can see what is in the directory where you backup the catalog.generally ,it contains four files.

I've been working on recovering my Windows catalogs before I upgrade to 5.0. I have 3 NB servers and instructed the bprecover command to only restore the 1st images. It took about 8 hours! Typically, all 3 NB servers back up in about 1:15. I'm using the same type of tape drive sdlt320 in the lab.

If it took an hour to back up in production, should it take less than 1 hour to restore 1 of the 9 files per NB server? Thanks.

Sorry for the late follow up. But the problem with the slowness was VSP was enabled. I opened a case and Veritas recommended to turn it off during a process like this. Worked fine after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back