Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

catalog backup - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2004
GB
Hi there,

Is there any way i can duplicate catalog backup onto tape and send this tape off-site, we've got 2 catalog backups already but neither are ejected and sent off.
Basically we wanted to make sure if something happened to our data centre, we would have a reliable catalog backup tape off-site from where we could restore the image.
This is runnig on netbackup 4.5 for solaris 8.

Thanks in advance.

Catalog tapes should not be duplicated. They should be created.

How to configure and backup NetBackup catalogs from command line.

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Thanks Strumpr but i was hoping that someone out there had a similar case i.e 2 catalog tapes media id 10 and 11) are permanently onsite and 2 so called new catalog tapes which we could eject and load onto the tape library alternate way, say every morning when no backup was running.
Please advise.

Many thanks.

i have a cronjob that runs a few times each morning, that checks that no other backups/catalog backups are going, and opens an NFS share on another server then fires off a catalog backup to said share. once a week for offsite purposes we manually tar the contents of that share to a tape and that's sent offsite. this process has been tested many a time and even tested in anger when we used this procedure (along with data backups obviously) to benchmark a new server abroad at a testing centre. the benchmarking served as a mini DR exercise too.

Anyway, i could have the cronjob write the data to tape each time it runs, i just chose to do that bit manually

Rich

Rich,

How do you prevent any normal backups from running during this cron catalog backup?
We thought to stop the scheduler daemon bpsched in order to stop any backup from starting during the so called catalog backup but we're not sure if this can affect anything else?! Knowing that bpsched daemon is started by bprd - request daemon which invoke bpdm and bpcd - media server’s daemons.
Any idea?

Thanks

Hamid

Hi. Normal backups won't kick off until any catalog backups (auto or manual) complete. They'll just queue up and wait..

Rich

Hi, do you have a sample of the catalog backup script you'were running from cron ?

Thanks in advance.

Hamid

Not at the moment as I'm not near a pc, however I've probably posted the script on tek-tips or the veritas architect forum for netbackup. (Or both knowing me!).

Maybe try a google search for 'creaky catalog' or similar, I'm sure I've posted it somewhere, can just never remember where I post things. Bob Stump's probably stumbled across it by now, if its out there he'll know where is is, I'm just very forgetfull :)

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back