Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat6a Unshielded. I need the Plug and strain relief. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZTXmel

Technical User
Jun 14, 2011
US
Any solutions for a Cat6a Modular plug for the CAT6a unshielded solid riser cable?

The OD of the cable is .29-.34 inches basically anything that would fit that all the way thru. from strain relief to the solid wire.

My customer is asking to make custom patch cables.

Thank you for your time.

I have 1 solution but this rj45 for cat6a is very expensive but it fits like a dream. No crimp necessary industrial grade ethernet plug.

Why are you crimping ends on cat6a cable ?

Do you have the test equipment to verify that the cords you make meet the CAT6A requirements? If not then you should not be making them. The CAT6A requirements are very stringent, and I would be very surprised if you could do that without proper equipment!

So the best solution is to put jacks on the ends of the riser Cat6A, then use certified Cat6A patch cords to connect to the devices. There are companies like ICC, that make various length patch cords down to 1 foot.

....JIM....

We are crimping cat6a ends at our customers request.

We have access to proper testing equipment. We can not put jacks because that is not what was asked of us.

Our main problem is strain relief. not connection...

Anything for CAT6A that is NON-standard is expensive if you want it to work and meet requirements. So use the method you mentioned in your post at the top! There is no free lunch, and with CAT6A you get no dessert!

May be your customer should take a course in Ethernet transmission, and learn why we have standards!

....JIM....

I understand the standards. You have us all wrong. We are a manufacturer... we have the capabilities to making our own patch cords. Right now we are in the testing phase with the CAT6a unshielded and thats why i came on the forum to ask you Tech guys for some advice. the problem with all of this is everything is CUSTOM.
One end may need the ethernet plug and the other end is something completely different. Our customer is a major communications company and their engineers found that the cat6a unshielded works better for them. Otherwise we would have def geared them towards another way because this application is very hard to do.

Patch cords should be stranded cable, not solid as you mention in your first post. No disrespect, but if you have to ask such basic questions then perhaps the project is out of your scope of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back