Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAT6a Maximum Run Distance for 1gb Ethernet Throughput? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurio71

Technical User
Oct 1, 2009
MX
Hi all, I'm researching recabling one of our school buildings. We've added a new comms cabinet at one end of a 150m, 3 floor building (approx). I want to recable the whole building back to this new rack. I only need 1GB ethernet throughput. So, some runs will be over 90m in length. I'm thinking if CAT 6a is 10GB at 100M, it will be a lot longer at 1GB throughput. Any advice?

Support Technician in an Educational Environmant

Not supported at distances beyond 90m.

Basically, if you want to run it past the length limit it no longer falls under the CAT6a specification. Frankly, I don't think I would trust it to do what you want it to do at that length. No opportunity to install a small IDF somewhere near that end of the building and run a fiber link between the two closets?

I was hoping there was a sliding scale for runs over 90M. Only need 1GB throughput not the 10GB CAT 6A offers.

We have the main comms rack on the middle of the building on the ground/first floor. But this is also the library office and the rack is very loud. Another option is moving the main comm rack to a utilty room in the middle of the top floor which will allow all the runs to be under 90M.

Sounds like the option of moving the rack to the middle of the top floor is your best option. Make your installation compliant with the standards.

Sell it to management that the data will "flow down the cables" to the devices below. They'll probably eat it up :)

If you want RF (Radio Frequency), use fiber optics!!! Then, you are not limited by length or other copper problems...

Unless you want to construct a wave guide, lol... When the frequencies get that high, it does not make sense to use copper or WIFI, if you want any kind of performance!

....JIM....

I agree with SyQuest. Fiber is your best option. You can get fiber to Ethernet adapters dirt cheap nowadays if that's what you need at each end. Throughput should be about 1Gb minimum. That's what I did for a 600 foot run between buildings for live video feed.

Thanks, the runs will be from switch to wall-plates/end-devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back