Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cat6 patch panel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickg47

Technical User
Oct 11, 2006
CA
How long should it take to terminate 48 cat6 cables on a cat6 48 port patch panel?

It would depend on the location of the panel. If it is in above the ceiling grid, underwater, within 18" of an opposing wall, in a walk-in freezer or other such he77 holes where these are mounted by the unknowing it could take all week.

OTOH, if it is in a nice well lit room with sufficient clearance and is at working height it should take an hour or two.

what if all he had to terminate the wires was a pointed stick?

It would take me one day"

Hopefully that is with a pointed stick...

With proper tools, even with testing, a day seems excessive.

It takes less than a minute to terminate a 8 conductor cable. Double that for keeping things orderly and add 30 min for tool in/out and it is fairly leisurely 126 minutes for the job specified by the OP. I have done plenty of punchdowns in less time than that.

Even running a certification type tester BY MYSELF takes no more than 5 minutes a wire. Heck, the wires can't be over 300' so the walking can't be much over 5.5 miles. Even in a convoluted building the majority of the wires will be considerably less than 300'. So that is 4 hours max. With a helper the time is considerably less.

So 6 hours = a day?

From the few jobs I have timed, they average 1 minute/pr including testing. So 48times 4 pr = 192min. or 3 hr 12 min

These jobs were well lite and included the house end only.

the old Bell System guys, punching down 25 pair cables on split 66 blocks, could do it 7 minutes a side. that's unsheathing the cable, fanning it out, hooking the pairs, then punching them all down. i got good at it from them showing me when i worked with them at Lucent, right before they all retired, but not 7 minutes a side.

This isn't a 25 pair cable, this is cat 6-8 pair and I would guess by the time you slick up the cable, cut the sheath and fan the 8 pair cable, untwist the pair (but not too much) and punch it down, then make it pretty, 10 minutes per cable which is about 7 hours.
Might do it quicker, but that's what I would charge.
Don't under estimate.

The question wasn't how much you would charge but the time required to do the job. I can't imagine how "pretty" 10 minutes per cable could be...

so Mugsiensedgwick, what kind of connector do you use with that Cat6-8 pair cable?

lol, got me on that one. Eight conductor.
I've seen to many 2 minutes and we're done jobs.
I would probably plan on take 10 minutes per cable.
You guys can probably do it a lot faster than I can and still make it look good.

3 to 4 48 panels an 8 hour shift should be an easy job for 1 person, including seperating and dressing.

Hi everyone. Many different answers to the question.I quess the bestway to know is to do the job. I did and it took me 3hrs per
48 port panel (Forming Terminating & Testing).The work is neat & all the testing passed.Thanks again for all the input.

Guess I'm old and slow...
Wires you must be young and experienced. lol
I still say under estimate and over perform is best.

Wires you must be young" Nope, gray hair.

My Grandfather would usually beat me on most multi-hour jobs when he was in his 70s and I was in my 20s. The key is to keep an even pace and don't stop.

just try it when the cables are unmarked or incorrectly marked...7 hours would not be long enough...

Hi Divtel,
I have terminated many Cat5e patch panels before, but just did my first Cat6 recently and was surprised at the extra time needed on a IBDN (NORDX) system.....found it was about 8 minutes per termination....after having all cables formed right to the panel...can you share your secret with us?

As long as it's not a Belden or IBDN panel or any panel that has the IDC in a square, and maintaining standards and codes, about 2 hrs. Also, the cable can't be that stupid Belden bonded pair datatwist bullsh*t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back