Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat6 Ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbuxton

MIS
Apr 1, 2002
US
Where can I find some Cat6 RJ45 ends? I've got Belden MediaTwist wire, but can only seem to find Cat5 or 5e rj45 ends. Online sites with them?? Thanks.

When you say "ends" - Are you refering to jacks, as would go into a wall plate. Or do you mean the plugs. If you are talking about jacks - There are many manufacturers that make cat 6 jacks. I am not aware of any manufacturers that sell the plugs to consumers. If you want to put plugs on the ends of your cable ( So that it is a patch cable), go ahead and use Cat 5e plugs as you will probably not be able to attain Cat 6 specifications in the field. Or you could terminate the cable with Cat 6 jacks and buy pre made Cat 6 patch cables which will plug into the jacks and devices on each end.

Yes I mean the plugs or "ends." Would it be better to terminate the cable with a Cat6 patch panel, use premade Cat6 jumpers, and Cat6 jacks with premade jumpers? It just seems that there are an awful lot of extra connections between the ends and I usually subscribe to the "less connections = better" theory. Also, do you know the correct pinout for Cat6 termination? I know the TIA568B:
1 - W/O
2 - O
3 - W/G
4 - B
5 - W/B
6 - G
7 - W/Br
8 - Br

but, on Cisco's site I found a different spec with the wires in this order:
Is this a Cisco standard or a new 1000BaseT standard? Thanks for the information.

I usually agree with the "Less is Better" theory. However, I think this is a instance where you should go for the "More" concept.
You probably do not require your connection to comply with Cat 6 guidelines. And if you do require Cat 6 compliance, You will probably not be able to obtain it by crimping connectors onto your cable. And if you do not have the proper test equipment, you will never know if you have attained anything better than Category 3 specs.

If you do require Cat 6 performance - You should create a proper link and channel situation by terminating your cables on Cat 6 rated appliances (Jacks and/or patch panels). Then use pre made Cat 6 patch cables to connect to pc's, hubs, switches, etc. You will still not be able to test the cable (assuming you do not have the proper test equipment)for Cat 6 compliance. But, if you follow all of the rules pertaining to Cat 6 cable installation and termination, and you use pre made Cat 6 patch cables that are produced by one of the major manufacturers - Then you may be able to achieve Cat 6 performance.

Oh... I forgot. Use 568B pin-out. If you use jacks and/or patch panels... just follow the color code on the appliances.

Thanks for the help. I figured that the punchdown is probably a "better" connection than trying to crimp cables, so the Cat6 "System" would be the best option. Thanks.

I did not say that I think the Cat6 system is the best solution. In fact I would recommend Cat5E. Especially if you have no way to certify compliance. I think, at this time, that Cat6 is over kill and not worth the extra money that you will spend for the components. But even with Cat5E, Cat5e, Cat5, or Cat3, I would terminate the installed cable on appropriate jacks/patch panels. And buy patch cables that match the level of the cable that you install. It will be a more stable installation with less head aches dow the road.

>And if you do require Cat 6 compliance,
>You will probably not be able to obtain
>it by crimping connectors onto your cable.

Deja vu all over again!

Wasn't this the same thing we heard about Cat5? I have run across more than a few "factory made" cables that claimed Cat5 compliance that didn't measure up. How will Cat6 be different?

People can do brain surgery, machines can't.

I know what you are saying Wires. And there are alot of shops out there cranking out so-called compliant patch cables that won't test out. However, if you buy patch cables from one of the major structured cabling device manufacturers, (Ortronics, Panduit, Leviton, etc)..... I think you will have better luck.
Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back