Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cat5E or cat5e

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefred

Technical User
Sep 2, 2002
US
I did not know but was told there is a difference between cat5E and cat5e. The explanation sounded qualified but I am not sure it was true. It had to do with "E" being rated up to 350Mhz where as the "e" was less than. Can anyone point me to a reference

seems like we have been thru this before and as I recall there was no diffrence

after this thread dies down I think I'll ask opions on 66 vs 110

that ought to keep things interesting untill the first of the year :)

no difference whatsoever, however i do like the 66/110 idea

you both just like to see the 66/110 hornets nest fired up again.

Is it a personal contest to see if you can make the longest thread on the forum?

If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

According to the EIA/TIA standards, there is no 'big E little e' type thing. What you are hearing is manufacturers hype.

We often hear it referred to as "minimally compliant" Cat5e, meaning that it does infact meet the specifications. After that, you have manufacturers making statements that it is good for 350Mhz, or 500Mhz, or whatever. All that is very dreamy, but the fact is it is still only Cat5e compliant.

Good Luck!

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron at wilson dot org

Thanks for the info--I had never heard of it but what the heck--theres lots of stuff I never heard of----I like 110 better, colors are make splitting pairs easier than on blocks--as far as voice goes

Did I hear the 66 block thing?????

Have a good week all..

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious, and only the simple minded can see through the complexity of the problem. Utterly BRILLIANT! [2thumbsup]

BIX is the only answer. Test results show more headroom when using E cable vs e cable.

One must make sure the e cable is laying on top of the E cable in the tray.

if the big E means Enchanced

the small e must mean enhanced then right ?

Ain't it great how manufacturers confuse the issue?
Most e, E, and Enhanced comes off the same run, usually depends on what part of the run.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

no difference.

The secret of Joy in work is contained in one word- excellence- To know how to do something well is to enjoy it..

Nothing is easier to put a butt set on than 66!! But if space is a concern go with 110.

Doesn't lucent get a nickel everytime you punch a cable on a 110? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back