Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat5e, Cat6, Cat7 installation costs 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustinn3

MIS
Oct 31, 2001
US
We are presently in the process of planing a complete tearout and remodel of our building. The architect wants to completely relocate our datacenter and phone system to another area of the building. During the process, we will have to completely rewire the building.

Currently the existing cabling consists of cat5 and 5e and 62.5 nm fibre. I would like to add and replace the current fibre with 50nm fibre for our data closets and building to building links. It's been about 8 years since our last fibre install, so I have no idea how much to even guess per drop, but they would all need 2 pair and would be under 300m. I can't find any average installation prices for fibre. Any idea what an average drop costs?

To the clients I would like to run Cat 6 or 7 but what is the price difference and is anyone even installing cat 7 yet? Our last cat 5e installation was at around $125 per drop, but I'd like to go ahead and put in cat 6 or better while we're at it. We have almost 600 phones and about 300 network devices in this building so it's a fairly large job, but it will be done in phases as well.

I like Robertjo24 and Deweyhumbolt's value of $150 per drop.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

2 hours per drop end to end including, jacking, terminating, and installing the rack, and patch panels plus materials. Add for certifying documents per run. labor rates vary by locale.

I would put it all on patch panels, and use all the same type cable, as the labor is the same why downgrade on the cable to limit your applications per labor dollar.

Also, for planning your layout of your multiple network closets/patch panels do so based on your wireless access point placements so you can just put the wireless units in the network closets where the future fibre is going to be sitting anyway. Consider engenius wireless access points they really are great. The wireless can be used for most future locations especially if you use high quality access points, and fibre to them.

FAIR WARNING

Runninng cable in a hospital is not the same as your average business.

There are many more obstacles that will drive the price up.
Depending on your location there may be stricter installation rules to abide by.
The cable pathways will be far from ideal. remember, hospitals have shielded Xray rooms, MRI rooms, etc.
Working in and around the operating rooms is a nightmare.

Trust me, Ive done several hospitals, the costs will be at least 20% higher than a 'normal' install.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Star for you Dewey!

When I was an installer a few years ago, a hospital wanted to get its insurance rate down. They went through the ENTIRE place and sealed holes, firestopped penetrations, etc.

From that point on, it was their engineering departments job to make sure contractors had firestopped everything.

With as old as some of them are, a fire is their worst nightmare.

mk

Here in the San Franciso Bay area we get the following:

Voice $110.00 drop

Cat5e $200.00 drop

Cat6 $220.00 Drop

VOice & Cat5e $275.00 Dual Cat5e $375.00

Voice & Cat6 $295.00 Dual Cat6 $475.00

Plenum wire we add 20%

Wire run 300 feet limit

If you are doing VOIP, you might consider one drop. Where I work we use a single ethernet RJ45 for the phone and PC in one. The phone acts as a switch and passes thru the Ethernet. Saves on the drops. The phone mfg is Avaya one-x. They are nice phones and the quality is good.

The hospitals in grand rapids,mi. (spectrum health) made you take pictures of all the firestopping penetrattions, and place a sticker or update the sticker with your name and company. You were typically looking at usually at least 5 penetrations to get to your location. If you were working outside of the general public area, you were required to set up a tenting device to trap any dust. You could not get around any of these rules, as the maintenance department was policing this. I installed all of their wireless access points, every hallway. You were cranking if you could get 4 locations ran in 8 hours.
dave@acableconenction.com

We had a fire marshall come through a few years back that made us fire stop everything or face over $100k in fines. So we seal everything. I've been looking into the self sealing cable transits for future installs.

Firestopping is key in any install, Dustin, you know what your particular install wants and do not stray away from that, you have a good plan in place. Keep in mind that being a hospital you want a professional install with a manufacturers warranty to back your install by a certified contractor, nothing less as you will run into problems. You will definitely want a couple bids to see where everybody is at for what you want. Read the proposals closely before signing a contract as I have seen out there contractors who rip customers off after the signature. You want a no-hostage
holding approach. Prices are going to vary, it all depends on what you want, cable on ceiling,(no-way)poorly and sloppy looking terminations, (no-way). Be careful, you get what you pay for. Hopefully this job is in PA as we need some work as it is slowing down. Good luck

Not sure if this has been pulled off yet (no pun intended) but if not I may be able to help you with somethings to stay away from. We are also a hospital and a complex and yes the fire Marshall will be checking to make sure the penetrations are sealed. I use all Unique fire stop products and have 3 of my guys certified on the installation of these products. It makes it nice when the FM comes by and I have one set of data sheets to give them on my fire stop products. And yes we do photo documentation on every pull.

Also you need to spec what cable, jacks, patch panels, racks, and wire management you want in your place. This will help keep everything uniform and the same regardless of what building you are working in. Don't let them pawn off some BS jacks or other components that will cause you grief. You have enough to do without fixing new stuff. And be sure to match your components with the same patch cables. Non booted works great in EQ rooms. But use booted from the outlets as users are hard on patch cables sometimes. I have some that will always try to get 12 foot out of a 10 foot cable.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

mikeydidit is right on target.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

I’m very new to the industry and I think I might just have cut myself short on a cabling project I’m about to finish, as it took me twice as much time that anticipated.

What I didn’t factor in is that pulling the cable was the very, very time consuming part, as I had to pull on scissor lift/high ladders between lots of piping and poles, lot of fishing, etc.

How much would you charge for a cat5e plenum run – high industrial ceilings (home depot like), average run 250-300’. Total runs 60.

Would $350-400 per run be acceptable in Phila, PA area?

<a href=" target="_blank">Philadelphia Computer Services</a>

Hi,

Now that you got your feet wet. First you need to know what it is worth for you to do the job. Start off with a set per drop then look over what you need to do that is not basic wire run also have in your proprosal about extra that may be added.For myself I charge about $200.00 per drop {300'}for cat5e. When you do more you will know how much time and material. For RUSH job we charge TIME & MATERIAL.

I usually charge a set per pull charge + $.?? per foot of cable used. If the job is "out of the normal" which could be High ceilings, cutting in boxes in cinder block, difficult areas to work in (OR's) ER's), having to place and use dust walls, Then I add extra hour(s) labor time to the job.

From what other here have posted you will get a feel for how much time to add to a project. This is of course, after you get a better idea of what it takes to do jobs in difficult areas.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

krzesiczan's- Ill drive down from detroit to install that for $100 per cable. You supply material.
dave@acableconnection.com

As several people have mentioned already Cat 5 for the data and Cat 3 for voice would be the most cost-effective solution for you.
This will be good if you do not plan on going to a VOIP application in future.
There is very little noticeable difference between Cat 5 and Cat 6, in fact most wire manufacturers list the NVP (Nominal velocity of propogation (% of the speed of light) for both cables either exactly the same or within 1-2% of each other.
Cat7 is smoke and mirrors right now. There are several 10gig copper solutions out there, I think Krone/ADT has something and Systemax has another. If you are hell bent on spending some money go for it. You need to be aware that you will be looking at an increased labor cost for the Cat 6 and 10 gig solutions. Most contractors (if they are smart) will bump up the job hours a little since Cat 6 and 10 gig are a little more difficult to work with. One last thing to consider, conduit. Being in a hospital environment are you running all of your cable in conduit? Be aware that there is a significant difference in the OD of Cat 6 over Cat 5, if you run Cat 6 you will most definitely need to run larger conduit for the same amount of stations...there is a catch with everything.
My personal feelings on Cat 6 is that it is a waste of money with current technology. One day maybe...

I was miserable, then someone told me "smile and be happy, things could be worse". So I smiled and was happy...and they were right, things were worse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back