Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat5e Cable Length 487 feet 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk81596

Technical User
Sep 26, 2005
US
We had some underground conduit installed and some cable ran to another one of our buildings. This was before my time and I new the length just looking at it was 350 plus. I terminated the cables at they were 487ft in length. I am going to uplink one and test it to check the network but I am guessing the latency will be terrible. Also I think standard cat5e cable was used and not the outdoor rated version(would like to know what that is called also). Should it have been the outdoor version. I am guessing that even though the plastic conduit is sealed that water will eventually get in there. Any suggestions

Thanks

Uh, Cat5e is good for 100 meters between devices that can repeat/regenerate the signal. Not 487 feet.

Burt

Get a channel locks, and connect it on one end of the cable, then go to the other end. With some sort of vehicle like a forklift, golf cart, or winch, connect to the cable, and pull on it real hard, but not hard enough to break it, just stretch it. When you stretch it look at the cable length marker, stretch until it gets to the cable length marker on the sheathing that is under 100M. That should work for you then.

Just kidding, LOL
repeater at both ends of conduit may reduce the length between ends.

Interestingly, data in long distance copper travels at about .7c, while fiber is closer to .67c (the light is bouncing off the walls of the cable, so travels farther than the cable length)

I have used Tut systems network extenders when faced with over length copper.

But most importantly, continue to remind your bosses that you did not plan this and it WILL fail at the most inconvenient time.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

data in long distance copper travels at about .7c, while fiber is closer to .67c"

Neither of which will effect latency to any significant degree.

Does a car traveling at the speed of light need taillights?

The long copper lenght would be fine if you were only using it for voice and if it were rated for outdoor,but not for meeting any sort of data category specs.(it's called signal loss ).

Outdoor Fiber is the best solution in your case,and you can use the cat5 as the pull string !!

Good Luck,

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

Question: Cat5e wet cable. Does it have to be UL listed and UL stamped.

cablejuan,

See the NEC section 800 and other related sections/articles concerning low voltage wiring requirements in wet/damp environments.

Or you can ask your local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ).

....JIM....

Patton Electronics makes some ethernet extenders that will provide 16Mbps at 3,956', bidirectional.

Look up the model 2168 on their website, here is the link

We've had to use these in plants where we only have cat-3 cable strung between buildings and this works very well.

The 16 Mbps is better than nothing...

If your cable is to long they don't work ?
Anything over 100meters you should use fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back