Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat5e 50-Pair PoE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mansell

Vendor
Aug 24, 2004
Business wants to relocate VoIP system to another floor, contractor would like to extended station cable via 50 pair Cat5e, any issues with voice quality from cross tallk, interference, etc. as opposed to using new 4-pair cables? Also, I'd like to confirm but I don't believe you can do PoE over 50 pair?

Thanks
Mansell

POE would come from the POE enabled switches, are you moving them too?

Try a temporary 4 pair, single cat5e cable.
Does contractor intend to test for crosstalk before hand over to you?

To answer the specific question, you CAN do PoE over 50pr cat5 cable. All of the respondents thus far (including me) don't understand the circumstances in which the 50pr would be necessary. You may want to have a professional evaluation as it may provide a better and lower cost solution.

1 pair, 2 pair, 4 pair, 50 pair or xxx pair Cat5e will all have the same performance characteristics. That is what the specification is for...

Be sure the total length stays within spec for networking and POE and it should be fine as long as the cable, parts and workmanship are good.

Terminating on 66, 110, or Krone? Make sure whatever is used is rated at 5e, too.

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back