Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat5 Certification equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline

Technical User
Oct 14, 2001
US
Does anyone have recommendations of a manufacturer of decent Cat5 certification equipment ?
What's the best ?
What's the worst ?
What's the best deal for purchasing ?

Thanks.

I have a microtest pentscanner and like it. pretty spendy though

You can get a decent deal on a used Pentascanner with some careful shopping on ebay. I picked up a Pentascanner 350 with the super injector and all the cables for a reasonable price compared to retail.

MikeS Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

I also have the Pentascanner 350, got a decent deal over the net for it, the Omniscanner is definitely nice but for most of your needs the Pentascanner fills the bill admirably.

The Omniscanner 2 is the best. It will do cat 5, cat 5e and cat 6 testing. The software is upgraded from time to time and you can print the reports. It will also do fiber testing if you buy additional adapters. Some people like the Fluke stuff but it is even more expensive.

If you are willing to purchase new then get demo's on the equipment.

We had been shopping for over 4 months and had decided on the omniscanner2 but after getting a demo on it and the wirescop350 which was our 2nd choice, the wirescope 350 won out for a lot of reasons.

Getting your hands on the units your looking at will really tell which one is best suited to you applications.

Thanks everyone for the helpful information.

Bottom line. $$$$ $5000.00 is what it's going to cost going in the door if you actually want to CERTIFY you installation. Micro-Tek, Fluke about the same overall. It really depends on what your needs, goals, and expectations are.

Professionally and personally -- call the manufactures directly, explain your needs and weight the bells and whistles VS common features of the products and buy with confidence. Just make sure training is included in the price. There's a $@!*&&^! of information to learn and understand when dealing with CERTIFICATION.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back