Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cat5 cable over long distance 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fojin

Technical User
Aug 3, 2004
US
Hi there,

I have a phone line that originates in the main building of a business. There is another building about 1000 feet away where this phone line is used. I've traced it, and after coming in to the main building, the two phone wires are attached to one of the pairs of a 4 pair cable.

It runs through a 4" conduit to the building 1000 feet away and there it is connected to a phone jack.

We want to get internet down at this building. We have been using an RF system but it's very unreliable. It's slow, but that's okay. The problem is that it goes out all the time.

Would it be possible to use the unused pairs to carry an internet connection? Is it too far? It's okay if the speed is degraded, it doesn't need to be fast at all... but it does have to work.

If that is not a possibility, what other options do I have? Assuming I could pull another wire through the same 4" conduit, what is the best option? Is there an option?

Thanks very much!

-Brian

Fiber is the best option for that distance and the likelihood the buildings are on separate electrical services with different grounds. Fiber not only goes the distance, is more immune to environmental issues but also maintains electrical isolation. Oh, it's fast also...

Please ensure that the CAT5 cable has been properly protected at both ends. I would probably gravitate towards fiber between the buildings.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Thanks for the help.... Fiber seems like the best bet but at this time we're trying to do something inexpensive and in-house. I don't have any experience with fiber, so I'm going to give that ethernet extender a try and see where it leads me. If not, maybe we can do something with fiber!

Thanks everyone, :)

Ethernet extender should work. you can also get per terminated fiber with a pull eye. So all you would need is a transceiver on both ends.

I just wanted to post an update and thank mforrence for the help.

I installed the Ethernet Extenders and it's working amazingly. It's really fast, too.

It was easy to install and I'm really thankful I didn't have to run a new through this old conduit!

Thanks again,

-Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back