Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAT5 cabe installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidpyne

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2002
GB
I have installed a small peer to peer network into a local primary school. Its all working great. One of the school govenors is saying that I need to state that it has been installed to a standard. I know my work is good and as I said before it works a treat.

Does anybody have any words of wisdom that I can write into some type of document to keep this guy happy?

Sounds like you need to research local, state and federal regulations for schools - then document that you have indeed met the requirements.

Unfortunately it will put the burden of liability on your shoulders. I would recommend hiring a cable firm to check it out and verify it is up to standards. "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

-Adm. James Farragut

Stuart

It is just a Local Area Network, not connected to the internet at all? How many hosts are connected? I'm just curious, sounds like politics trying to get in the way again..... I hate bureaucracy. Let me know, I'll see if I can help.

Burke
CCNA

Sad to say that the standards put out by IEEE for example are only guide lines, because each network is different. each one I have installed had its own needs for connective Internet or not. look at the network from the inside out, a good sniffer software will help. It come down to best practice and choices.

Tell him it is an Ethernet network and conforms to the IEEE 802.3 specification

IMHO you should get a CAT 5 tester like a Pentascanner/Omniscanner or Fluke or Wirescope and certify the network Category 5 or 5E. Software comes with the respective scanners so you can print nice reports. I'm a BICSI certified Technician and that's all we ever do when "certifying" our work. For such a small job you should look into "borrowing" one of these scanners. They cost several thousand dollars each. Hopefully you know someone "in the business".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back