Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cat5 25 pair question

Status
Not open for further replies.

skip555

Technical User
Apr 26, 2002
US
Im pulling a couple of 25 pairs to connect customers two floors for voice so I thought I would go ahead and use cat5 25 pair

just got it in and when I strip the sheathing the vl/slate pair is in its own jacket

very strange any one know what the purpose of this is ?

All I can think of is strain relief but then why put a pair in there ?

just curious as to why you spent the bucks for cat5....

it really isnt needed for voice........but never hurts.....

how did you terminate it??? I use alot of 25pr. cat5, I dont recall seeing that violet/slate seperate...you might want to check with the mfg. website.......Im curious also.

I saw that in a General Cable catalog, it looks (from the drawing) like it may act as a strengthening device.

jeff moss

25 pair Cat-5 is made into "bundles" of 4-pairs each, which comes out to 24 pairs. The Vio/Slt is on its own.

I Spent the extra for future its going to be a pain to pull , I expect to keep this customer so I figure if in say 5 years or so he wants something that does require cat 5 as a min we will be covered

in this case the cost to the customer will be less than 100.00

I will terminate them on 66 blocks siemans says they are rated cat 5.

I pland to leave a loop at each end so we could re-terminte if needed later just nice to have the cat 5 from point a to b

it makes perfect sense for the last pair to be seprated like that when you look at it from the perspective of the odd pair.

thanks for the responses

Given the choice, you may want to consider 110 or better type blocks to maintain the Cat5 channel. Although the 66 block can be Cat5 rated, maintaining the twist in the pair is a bit tricky.

Were it me, I would definately terminate on 110's or better.

If you are going to terminate on 66 blocks, this is what I have done in the past to keep the twist. Instead of the normal method of splitting the pair with one wire over each plastic support, slip the pair into ONE slot, bring the tip wire up and punch it in, turn the ring wire down and punch it in. It is a bit tricky flipping the punch down tool back and forth, but you will see you can maintain the twist very tight right up to the connector itself.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Darron

If you are going to terminate on 66 blocks, this is what I have done in the past to keep the twist. Instead of the normal method of splitting the pair with one wire over each plastic support, slip the pair into ONE slot, bring the tip wire up and punch it in, turn the ring wire down and punch it in. It is a bit tricky flipping the punch down tool back and forth, but you will see you can maintain the twist very tight right up to the connector itself.

I was shown how to do that at at a cat5 seminar years ago when cat5 was first appearing I adapted it and have used it for punching down cat 3 ever since and I have become quite profeceint at it
it does make for a neat looking install, and like anything practice makes perfect

my concern with cat5 is in the cable sheath that obvisly needs to be stripped at least 3 to 4 inchs

I agree that the 66 block solution is not at all the best choice. I believe the standards say to remove only as much jacket as necessary for termination. Sounds like if he is going to terminate it on 66 blocks and leave some slack, it could be reused at a later date.

I think I'd just do 110's and have it done...

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

I believe siemons "66 blks" are cat5 rated for 4pr cables and take note of siemons instructions for proper installation

I'd be inclined to use a 25pr Telco punched down using the AMP CHAMP arrangements. Then simply plug it onto a 110 or CHAMP CAT5 patch panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back