Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(CAT)Failed to log in to ARCserveIT database(EC=-2005) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillys

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2002
GB
This message appears at every back up and can be repeated 5 to 30 times in one string directly after ARCserve Database Backed Up.The string appears to last one to 3 seconds whilst it is being written.
I thought it was a registration problem and indeed the software had not been registered which it has now (Arcserve 2000 for N.T.). The message however came back this morning.
Would appreciate any help you guys can give and many thanks.

Hey
Maybe this will fix your problem:

Q: I am getting E4101 unable to login to db engine ec=-2005. How can I resolve this error? 4101 e4101 2005 -2005

A: In Windows 2000 Right Click on the My Computer Icon and choose Properties. Then go to the Advanced Tab --> Environment Variables. Look for the RNNAME variable and make sure that it is the proper name of the server.

In Windows NT Right Click on the My Computer Icon and check the RNNAME variable in the Environment Variables. Make sure that the RNNAME variable reflects the proper name of the server.

If the RNNAME variable is wrong, then simply deleting the variable and rebooting the server will recreate the RNNAME with the proper name of the server.

Ensure that the ARCserve System Account (The account listed in the ARCserve Server Admin) has full control rights over the ARCserve directory.

Check the NT/2000 Event Viewer for any Computer Associates Licensing Errors. Check the ARCserve Activity log for Licensing Errors. If you find licensing errors, please make sure that these issues are resolved by contacting CA's licensing department.

You may be getting this error if there is a problem with the ARCserve database. You may reinitialize the database by accessing the ARCserve Server Admin (Start > Programs > ARCserve > ARCserve Server Admin)

Choose the Database Tab and then from the Operation menu selection choose Initialize Database. *** WARNING***: Initializing your database will clear all references to existing rotation jobs. If you would like to initialize your DB without losing your rotation specific information, initialize ONLY the ASTPSDAT portion of the database.

Hth and kind regards
Alex

I am receiving the same messages at the same point in our backup. I tried checking the RNAME and made sure the share and security permissions to the Arcserve and Arcserveit folders were set for the Arcserve system account. I also reinitialized the database, but still get the same recurring login errors.

At the beginning of the job there is a single error stating it failed to login to the database=Arcserve. After the backup completes there are the repeating errors that the job failed to log in to the database=ArcserveIt.

I was wondering if the fact that there is an ArcserveIT folder under the root of C: and an Arcserve folder under the C:\Program Files\ComputerAssociates\ is a clue to the problem. The latter is shared as Arcserve$.

Prior to my working at this office the server was upgraded from NT 4.0 to 2000. It had Arcserve for NT installed prior to the upgrade and Arcserve 2000 was installed after the upgrade. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Arcserve 2000 in my attempts to solve this error message.

Are there possibly files from the older Arcserve installation that need to be removed?

If you are receiving a string of these errors are within a couple of seconds, this is "normal". It's caused by an authentication timing issue.

Change the service account from LocalSystem to the ARCserve System Account, and that will stop this from happening.

Please let us know if this fixes it.

I'm getting the same error but I can't even get the engine to start to initialize it. I did all the normal troubleshooting, made sure the ArcServe system accout and password are correct. I go into services in Control Panel and try to start it there and recieve 2140 error. When I try to start it in ArcServe mananager, it just keeps timing out. I'm in NJ and the box is in CA, so reinstalling ArcServe remotely is a last resort.

The variable RNAME wasn't in the environment, so I added it naturally. Still can't start the database. Running ArcServe 2000 Advanced, NT 4.0, Exchange backups.

Install ARCserve on a test machine.

Then do the following procedures.

On the actual server

1) Rename the Database folder after closing and stopping all the services of arcserve
2) Copy the database folder from the test folder and place it under the arcserve fodler ( On the actucal server ).

Then database service will start.

Hope this Helps,

DatabaseBaba

Hi to all

i tried to make all of your tips, but the problem is stay on. When the backup finish, the software doesn't able to write on the ARCserve database and Windows2000 Server return me this error "RDS.EXE - Application error" and stop the database engine.

I tried to install the service pack 5 of ARCServe2000 too, but during the installation, Windows2000 return me this error: "smnp.exe - Application error". After that the installation continuing and ending successuful (the software saw this), but after reboot of server, ARCServe2000 is always the same (therefore without sp5).

Someone can help me?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back