Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat 6500

Status
Not open for further replies.

njang

Technical User
Feb 14, 2000
CA
Hi there I have a Cat 6500 that is set up with gig ports to aa bunch of 2948G the problem that I am having is it seems like the switches are acting like hubs ... I am seeing alot of traffic on a port where the traffic dose not belong so basically any traffic transmitted or recieved is showing up on all ports .. to me this is very odd if anyone has had this problem has any ideas or knows what is wrong please reply to this post!

-Thanks
Joe-

nathanj@netnation.com

Yo!

Okay firstly how have you configured these switches in regards to VLANs? Are you using the default configuration for the switches? Are you running spanning-tree at all? You seem to be getting a lot of broadcast storms? The traffic received on one switch will be sent to all other switches if trunking on your GIGE ports is carrying the respective used VLANs. Hence a broadcast on one of the small XL's will be propagated throughout the 6500s. Also you should be running spanning tree depending on your switching topology, draw me a simple diagram on your reply and I'll check it out. Also when did you notice these? Can you send me the output of a show interface or show port that is suffering from these excessive traffic flows?

Switches by default are running STP all ports on all switches in the VLAN 30 (the 2948XL switches) are experiencing this problem... its not the broadcast traffic I am looking at it is the unicast traffic I am interested in mostly ports 110 (pop) 22 (ssh) and 80 ( the gigs are not trunked the only vlan running from the 2900XLs to the 6500 is VLAN 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back