Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat 6 wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Does cat 6 wire connect the same as cat 5 can I use cat 5 wall plates or is there a cat 6 wall plate?

The actual pinout will be the same but you want to use CAT6 rated plugs, jacks and patch panels because the electical characteristics will be different. CAT6 is not just a wire rating, it's a rating for the entire system.
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Just to add to that last point, you'll want to make sure that you buy the from the same manufacture. CAT 6 is not a standard yet, every company is doing their own thing...

Mixing and match certain CAT 6 componants can cause worst performance than using CAT 5e

does anyone have the pinout for a cat6 crossover cable?
need to connect 2 1000BaseT uplinks....

thanks - Hardy

No,

Physically, the connector (RJ45) looks the same but electrically, it's very different. If you put any CAT 5 or CAT 5E (enhanced CAT 5) into a CAT 6 system, the performance will drop and you'll get nothing but problems. At this point in time, you can't even mix and match CAT 6 componants from various vendors!! In some cases the same vendor will have two or more CAT 6 solutions that are not compatible!!!! So if you need to replace a CAT 6 wall plate, verify the vendor and the model number and order the exact item or a suitable replacement.

hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back