Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat 6 patch cables dont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

colincjay

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2005
US
I recently bought some bulk cat6 solid cable and cat6 rj 45 connectors. I tried to make them the same way I've always made cat5 patches but none of them seem to work. The connectors have little inserts and I suspect I'm not using them right???

Buy Factory made Cat6 patch cords at least you can take them back if they don't work

OK I got it. After you put the connector over the wire and guide, you have to press the guide all the way to the end. I had to use a very small screwdriver to do it. Maybe nicer connectors don't need this extra (annoying) step.

Every Cat6 plug I've seen is a multi-step proccess, so I haven't bothered using them much, if at all. Though I've got a few around, just incase. In fact, have Panduit's cat6 plug setting on my desk right now. It has 5 parts. I scared to even test one. Oh well, the price of advancement. Right?

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

You might want to carefully inspect your terminating plugs; for
solid cable, the plugs' crimp elements straddle the wire. For stranded cable, the plugs' crimp elements poke straight into the wire.

If you use the stranded-conductor plugs on solid-conductor, you break the
wires at the high stress points.

The modular connector plugs of each type look identical without a microscope. I've often wished there were a color code...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back