Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cat 5E/cat 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

finnish

Technical User
Mar 28, 2005
US
Hi Everyone,
I am an installer of all types of cable and recently had a tech/programmer tell me that he didn't like my terminations. I was punching down 4port plates (2 CAT5E,2 CAT6)and on the cat 6 (data)I left the sheathing back about 1" but maintained the twist. Will this still work properly? He made me go and re-terminate all jacks.
Thank you for any help.

the no more than 1/2 from point of trermination refers to the twist on the individual pairs
not to the jacket .

i usually retain the factory twist as tight as possible and the jacket 1/2

Both the jack and cable manufacturer will have specs as to how the product is to be terminated. If you follow those specs you will be correct. If you are right in your terminations then show the tech and if he says "do it my way" then do it his way. (as long as it is within specs.)

This question was brought up at a recent BICSI class I attended. The standards allow for no more than 1/2" of untwist of the cable pairs, but do not specify a dimension for jacket removal. The common misconception is that no more than 1/2" of jacket can be removed, but this is not true. I will agree with youcandoit, you should not remove any more than is necessary, but again, it will vary depending upon the jack or panel manufacturer. BIX block termination actually calls for approximately 12inches of cable jacket to be removed, and they always seem to test fine.
My suggestion would be to limit the jacket removal, but go to the test results if he gives you any more grief.

Did it pass a Cat-6 test? I usually retain the twist to point of termination and expose nop more than 1/2". But if you passed a Cat-6 test with a reputable tester the way you did it, you were right.

cableprofessor,
Agreed! No untwist is best. But the question was regarding jacket removal. I believe he said he kept the twist.

If I saw an inch hanging out.. I'd redo it - but das just me ;]

should be's vs must be's

sure the jacket should be striped back a little as practical and most of us strive for it

the twist must be maintained to within 1/2" of terminatin point

if the twist was maintained to within 1/2" of termination then you where ok and the guy that told you to redo them was wrong .

i have always been told that if the twist arent as tight as possible it's wrong. 1/2" of untwisted pairs would be too much.

If any of my techs strip more than 1/2 inch of jacket they redo the termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back