Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat 5 Wiring issues...? Wha'd I do wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

outhere

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2001
CA
Hi!

Been working on setting up a WAN, within a LAN via a Linksys Etherfast DSL Router.
Installed the wall jacks as following (per instructions).

Cat 5 color-------wall jack color.
blue...............green
blue/white.........red
orange.............yellow
orange/white.......black
brown..............brown
green..............blue
brown/white........orange
green/white........white

connections have been checked and via my voltage meter that I used as a probe to make sure the other end of the Cat 5 wire in my "tek-room" were active.

I also crimped my own wires, (the other end of the wall jacks)that go into the router as follows...."twisted Straight-Through"

Pin 1- orange/white Pin 5- blue/white
Pin 2- Orange Pin 6- green
pin 3- Green/white Pin 7- brown/white
pin 4- Blue Pin 8- brown

Seeing this was my first time crimping I also made sure that they were snug and proper. Took me a few tries but I'm confident with them now.

Oh ya....my problem...almost forgot .)

When I plug them into the router I get no LED Link/Act activity or light what so ever. Cause...unknown...
Must be the wall jacks, perhaps I wired them wrong, I used the color scheme that the back of the wall plate package suggested.

Anyhow, I should also mention that the router works well, Im using it now, thing is its in the middle of the office floor connecting 4 pc's in a very unorthodox setting, straight from the Pc's ethernet card to the Router...All works but its an ugly situation let me assure you!

SO...any of your suggestions would help and if i left something out, (like this isn't long enough)please let me know!!

Have Yourselves a great New Years and thanks

Josh Maxwell
Discover Computers
CTO/MIS
discover_computers@hotmail.com
DirectLine-514.595.6024

The simplest advice I can give you is to go buy modular jacks. Then there is no guessing on the color scheme. You can find them at most places that sell cable. Hope this helps.

what devices exactly do connect with the router and where is
no link state?

Buy yourself a MODTAP tester you can then test for USOC 568A AND 568B which are diffrent wiring layouts.They are about £100 ,But your more than likely to be in the USA so it will be a lot cheaper.Buy a patch panel on it the colour scheme will be one of they above then make sure the CAT5 rg45 points you buy corresponed with that wiring layout.

The color scheme doesnt matter as long as both ends are the same. i would guess you paid too much attention to the diagrams and got a wire or 2 mixed up. If the PCs are close together, it is a good suggestion to buy already mounted cables with jacks. Otherwise, make sure both ends are wired the same. they can be backwards from the diagram, but if both ends are the same they will work.

Oh where to start. The wall jack you have, it is has those colors, is most likely a USOC wired jack. It was designed for use for regular telephone style connectivity (i.e. 4 analog lines) and not designed for ethernet connectivity. Your color scheme maybe ok, you should have pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc, straight through.

spargel33 - the color doesn't particularly matter, the electrons on the wire are fine no matter what color it is. However...the pairs are extremely important. Pins 1 and 2 must be a pair, and pins 3 and 6 must be a pair. If they are not, you will likely experience signal problems. It may run at 10 mbs, it may even run at 100 mbs, but it probably wont be solid and definately is incorrect for the ethernet standards.

Please check out the cabling group, there are several references there with web pages showing the color code and termination methods.

Now your problem, if you do not have continuity and the pins 1,2,3,6 in the right spot, you wont get a link light. Try making a cable with modular plugs on both ends like a patch cable and testing to see how your crimp is. Also many plugs were not made for solid wire, be sure what you have is designed to crimp the type of wire you are using.

I would suggest you dump the USOC phone jack and go for cat5e hardware. No reason to throw a weak link in the chain.

Good Luck
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back