Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAT 5 tester rental 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWBTech

Programmer
Mar 20, 2012
US
Hi Guys/Girls,

This is my first post. I am in the Baltimore/Washington corridor and I am terminating about 75 cables for a client and I need to test for x-talk, length, wiremap, provide reports, etc......

I called around to Rexel, Graybar and a few others and I can't seem to find any company who rents this equipment for a day or too.

Does anybody have any insight into who could possibly recommend a company to me for rental or a reasonably priced product that I can purchase?

I've been in the background leveraging this site for many years. I am certain someone has the answer. This forum is chocked full of brilliant peeps. Thanks in advance.

-PWB

Try Anixter. Tell them you plan on upgrading your entire infrastructure....and will be buying lots of cable and jacks in the future.....[wink]

fonedude. You are the man. I have a call into them now..

So I have been in contact with Anixter who got me on a conference call with Fluke and per my needs recommended Fluke DTX 1800. This tester lists at 9k and I was told I could probably purchase it for between 6k & 8k. Anixter also has a leasing to own program that I was not aware of. I have 2 fairly prominent clients in the DC area and I only need this thing for a couple of days. My intent when I call Anixter back is to request a test drive.

I also will call TRS-Rentelco. Thanks to both of you.

And if you need the fiber test adapters it is usually another 3K to 5K. That why companies charge more to certify or average $10 a drop to test on top of the regular labor charges.

Avaya/Nortel/NEC/Asterisk/Access Control/CCTV/DSX/Acti

No need for fiber yet. Just want to ensure that since this is a DC credit union and this is a new install by union electricians that is completely functional.

I spoke to someone at TRS_Rentelco and the told me they were going to cook up a quote for a DTX-1800 and I have never seen the email. I will have to follow up.

Try this company Norfolk Wire
Lee, Barry
5901 Board Street
Richmond, Virginia 23230
Bus: (804) 282-1300
Mobile: (804) 244-1564
Other: 1-866--292-9473
Bus Fax: (804) 266-6560
E-mail: barry@norfolkwire.com

DTX-1800 $250.00/Day

Richmond is a little too far.. But thanks for the estimated quote.

Get a free field demo/loaner from local Fluke rep? You'll need Linkware and maybe a walkthough of how to dump it anyway.

We used TRS RenTelco last week for the first time for a job we had to certify. Keep in mind that the shiping rates (return included) are REALLY expensive for overnight/next day depending on when the unit needs to be back (to get the 1 week rental rate).

Great customer service. Somewhat expensive, but cheaper than buying a unit. Also be aware that there is a credit check and a bunch of paperwork to fill out before, as they ARE sending you a $5000-9000 piece of equipment. (it's not a 10min signup process). Good experience though.

I did call them and yes to get it shipped and the rental was outside my clients price range. I actually went ahead a borrowed a Fluke IQ from a colleague who works at another major DC university.

As the need arises I will probably go ahead and purchase one.

After playing with the IQ, I realized I didn't need the DTX 1800 I though I needed.

You can also try Electro Rent I have also received emails from them with lists of used equipment to sell. Good luck.
I would buy one but I am waiting because I am going to win either the optiview tablet ($24,000) or the aircheck wifi tester.[bigsmile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back